Y&R: Shocking Role Recast

• Members

Oh, f-ucking please. I think I'm the only one here that has NEVER been impressed by Chris Engen. I found him BORING, BLAND, and UNDERWHELMING. I tried so hard to give him the benefit of the doubt, but just last week I think I was telling everyone in the Y&R discussion thread just how much his performances lack nuance and complexity, he was just too whiny and boring to me.

And if the allegations are true, that's his fault if he wants to be sued. They hired him to act, regardless of the storyline.

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

And yet all I see are mealymouthed, embittered defenses of Engen ("I like him") that don't remotely touch on the fact that if a fraction of this is true, he's a bigot who should not be working in the industry.

Oh, and primetime? They go for this [!@#$%^&*] even less.

• Members

If (as NB reported)he hasn't been happy with his storyline, called in sick several times and hated the (really stupid) gay kiss storyline he is a bigot??

As for Cashton being so happy about sending the story to Perez, I guess that a) he was posting drunk again or B) he thought that this was his best career move ever. Just kidding :D

• Members

I doubt Frons will hire him. Breaking contract is cardinal sin in soaps.

If you're willing to jeopardize your job and torpedo your career (breaking a contract) just over a gay kiss, then, yes, that indicates a degree of bigotry.

• Members

Word.

They hired him to act, not write, direct, or produce. I think he's smart enough to realize that the character he plays is not himself.

I was never impressed by his "acting" and I always laughed when people in the Y&R thread praised him. I certainly saw nothing special in him.

He quit when he's under contract, even if we don't know all the details, the whole situation still comes off funny from his side.

• Members

I think he was wrong to quit and he has ruined his career because he's proven he's unreliable.

Where I hesitate is in saying he's a homophobe, or saying this was all about a gay kiss, because he was having problems with the role before this kiss. I think when too much becomes about homophobia, real homophobia is blunted, and the cause of gay rights is hurt. I think there were many reasons for him to hate the writing for Adam (I hate it and I'm not even playing the part), so while I do agree he was completely unprofessional and proven he cannot be trusted to hold down an acting job, I can't go along with the homophobic angle, yet.

• Members

CE would make a HELL of a Joey Buchanan or Jamie Martin. But even if Chuck Pratt is true homophobe and even if Brian Frons is too, ABC is not going to hire an actor who walked out over a gay kiss. The gay & gay-friendly castmembers and crewmembers of these shows would be likely be irate if Engen were hired, assuming he could get out his contract. Unless Engen does career-saving damage control (and what could he possibly say to make it right?), his only avenue for work is the Christian market. He won't eat lunch in this town again.

• Members

I don't think Frons or Pratt would care about hiring an actor who objects to gay material. What they would care about is hiring an actor who walked out because he was unhappy with his storylines.

• Members

Putting aside the fact that despite casual homophobia in the programming, both daytime and primetime employ massive gay cast and crews, the much bigger issue is that he broke a contract. That is what kills him in the industry, more than anything. Maybe he can replace Roscoe Born as a medical supply deliveryman.

• Members

Bottom line is: If (and I acknowlege it's still an if) CE refused to kiss a male character because of his "beliefs", he's no less disgusting to me than if he had refused to kiss a black woman. Period.

And yes, I am an activist for tolerance - in whatever medium that intolerance exists. Today it just happened to be on my fav TV show.

Archived