Y&R: Shocking Role Recast

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

About an actor's career being over due to breaking a contract...well, Melissa Reeves broke hers on Days in 1995. She returned. (The only reason she left again was allegedly for her new life in Tennessee.) Point is? She worked.

And there is prime time precedent: Sherry Stringfield quit ER in the midst of the show being hot, with two years left on her contract. Granted, for a time, she was prohibited from working, but she did again. She returned to ER for four more seasons - and returned again for the finale, was on HBO's Tell Me You Love Me, and just did a pilot (albeit not picked up) with John C. McGinley for the upcoming TV season. Point is, leaving ER the first time was a risky move, and while she did have to halt her activity for a while, she rebounded.

I think it depends on the actor's relationships with TPTB and the circumstances surrounding their exit, as much as the contract itself.

• Members

i haven't read the whole thread yet so forgive me if I'm echoing but i dodn't think anyone is going to say what i'm going to say (big surprise).

A. Who said MAB or someone else DID NOT consult CE about his upcoming story?

B. It's been widely reported that CE was being very unprofessional to begin with - not liking his character's direction and calling in sick, then just quitting.

C. I am mad. I'll save my judgement for CE's side, but it don't look good.

• Members

I can't help wondering if TPTB were planning an and in the midst of recasting with this other actor and Engen found out and walked off. Just because Nelson said it was over the gay storyline does not mean it to be true.

• Members

I was referring to CF tirade over Miss California's comments on gay marriage. I would imagine if CE is causing havoc on the backstage and being seen as homophobic, it might not go over well. But, who knows what really happened.

• Members

Must have been a fun set with him.

I mean, if he was a little snippy and snarky, I can't imagine EB putting up with that sh!t, can you? If there was any hint of prima donna, I'd imagine PB would eat him alive.

Also, there are a few male actors on this show who are widely assumed to be openly gay. If true...wow...uncomfortable...if all of this is true.

• Members

I am so upset!

My scattered thoughts:

We don't know everything. Engen hasn't spoken and we only have the point of view of people who don't like his decision.

MAB and the Bells have every right to be angry. Actors need to do their scripts as written. That being said, I think it's short-sighted and foolish to push an actor beyond his comfort zone. I was a strong advocate for a Rafe/Adam story but I was an even bigger advocate for establishing the Adam character as the next generation villain. I am disappointed that Engen couldn't deal with the gay story, but it's hard for me to judge him when we know that are several closeted gay actors on the set.

Soapcentral is speculating that Engen walked because of his religious beliefs. I dread that being true for so many reasons but since he was also upset about Adam's sinister turn, that would make sense.

If Engen did quit for religious reasons, then he needs to rethink the Hollywood scene. There's a Christian film industry out there and maybe that's where he belongs. Even if Engen resolves his contract problem with the Bells, no soap or mainstream show will want to hire someone (perhaps unfairly) perceived as a homophobe.

As for the recast, he's a good actor, so I wish him luck.

Archived