Melrose Place Spinoff: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Apparently Bethany Rooney who used to direct both the original Melrose and 90210, directed episode 12(which is supposed to be the first episode featuring the new tone).

He'd make the show even more boring IMO, besides, I don't believe the CW hires any one over 49 lol.

I think how well it does overseas will determine whether or not it's renewed.

• Members

I'll be happy if they just make Victor Webster (Caleb) a regular. Move that sexy gay publicist into the building and develop his personal life. Caleb is fantastic interacting with Ella and he'd be fantastic having scenes with other hot men!!!! I also think he should come back to get even with Amanda. How dare that COW fire him!!!!

• Members

The main problem is that the CW knows that Melrose has failed but they're still obsessed with making it a hit show. I like the dark tone of the show, it's just that most of the characters don't work.

I guess the show won't debut in most countries until 2010. The new 90210 isn't a huge success internationally either.

• Administrator

How do you know more options weren't considered? We already know Mark Schwan was close to writing the pilot. Surely there were others too - we just don't know about it. And if the ratings were higher, having a bible ready to go would be enough, being fans of the original show would be enough? What would be enough?

• Administrator

Yeah, there's just that quote of Dawn saying she was impressed by them. It doesn't say that they were her only options, unless I missed that part.

Just because a show has low ratings and it's not the best creatively, but you believe there's something there, some good elements that you can build on (which I believe Melrose 2.0 does), doesn't mean you should cancel it so quickly. Sometimes shows hit their stride in season 2 or even season 3.

• Members

Yes, except that I kind of liked their scripts for Smallville and new they would end up show-running it.

But, first, it was wrong to resuscitate this show. Second, if they've decided to do it anyway, like I said before, it takes thorough preparation. You can't just expect it to be a HIT! because it's tied to the original. In fact, many viewers are put off, repelled precisely because of that. In the end, predictably, a lot of hasty, not thought through decisions brought us this mess.

Archived