Melrose Place Spinoff: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Finally started watching (just about to watch episode 4) and surprisingly enough am totally loving it.

They got some of the basic ingredients of Melrose Place, I really like ALL characters (except for Violet) and the look of the show is just great. I appreciate them trying for a darker tone, yet at the same time miss the twisted dialogue full of irnoy of the old MP, and the sex and scheming of course. Nevertheless I never imagined to like this show so much - it's different and then isn't. Too bad the ratings are soooo bad.

• Administrator

Katie Cassidy almost naked :wub:

This episode was so good!

That was an amazing sequence - definitely the best of Melrose 2.0 so far. I was pretty shocked when Violet killed Vanessa like that - and like you said, the irony of that. LOL

• Members

The latest episode of Melrose Place was insane. Seriously, it was one twist after another; discovering Vanessa is the one who killed Syd, only for her to be killed by Violet, finding out that David just might be Noah's father, Lauren ending up in hospital, Jonah and Riley falling apart, Jonah and Ella getting it on... it was all so gripping. I really want Melrose to keep it like this, but I know they're going to change it all and make it 'fun, lighter' etc. DO NOT WANT, MELROSE.

• Members

How did Violet find out Vanessa was the killer? I really wasnt expecting that.

Also why did Amanda just stand there as the two women were fighting. She could have prevented Violet murdering Vanessa but she just stood there until she killed her and then ran up and embraced her?

• Members

I wondered that aswell. It all just happened out of nowhere. I was thinking maybe they would build on this Violet/Amanda relationship. Amanda (v1.0) wasn't the type to do something like that without an ulterior motive, I just can't imagine there being enough time for them to delve into this further with

• Members

David told her when he dropped off Noah.

ETA: Forgot to mention how much I loved episode twelve. It had all the twists, sex, and just overall crazyness Melrose should. Sucks that we won't be seeing anymore of Laura Leighton but I'm glad the murder mystery is done, it really was dragging the show down IMO.

• Members

I've had difficulty getting through this remake. I've watched maybe five episodes and bits of Amanda's return and I haven't been impressed. I won't go into detail since I've pretty much expressed my feelings on it. The best thing about the remake is that it's inspired me to re-watch Melrose Place. Originally I didn't love it. I found it to be very watchable trash TV. Like Falcon Crest for the 90s. Re-watching it I find myself enjoying it much more. I thought it would be easy to remake and it just goes to show you how good this show was. Even a trashy primetime soap like this requires some type of skill to create.

I just finished watching episode 21 which is Amanda's first episode. It annoys me to constantly see people credit Heather Locklear for saving this show. I think she was one part of several things that saved this show.

1. Giving Sandy the axe. Had she not be connected to Jake the character may have worked. The acting career would've been difficult to sustain long term as well. Her friendships with the other characters didn't work either. She was useless.

2. Jo drops into Melrose Place. Now if you want to credit a single character with saving this show....it's Jo. When I began watching, I kept waiting for Heather Locklear to show up. Once I saw Jo it was "Amanda who?" Not only did she do wonders for Jake, but she seemed to completely transform this show. Ever character that had a scene with her was for the better. There is something darkly sexual about Jo and she feels like a true New Yorker in LA. Certainly not the Jo I remember from later years.

3. Laura Leighton as Sydney. It's sad to see the way she was written on the new series. None of the warmth and humor you get on the original series. Sydney was never a high class schemer. She was a low rent screw up who was never a serious threat to anyone. She was like a gnat who got in the way. In the first season she's the first real jolt of energy that helped Jane and Michael become successful characters. Jane is an insufferable bitch who just may be the most selfish person on the show right now. Heroine my ass. I liked Sydney bringing her insecurities out as well as the teases for Michael's future infidelity. That has been a major thread this season and I can't wait for it to come to a head.

4. More serialized storylines. The problems of the week were painful. I recently read one of the season one books and the tagline is "Melrose Place....it's about friendship." What? They created some of the phoniest friendships I've ever see. Just kill me now. Giving the characters shades of gray was a smart move as well. I even found they did wonders for Rhonda by giving her a long term story with Terrence. If Vanessa Williams wasn't black I do think her character improved enough to remain on the show. I even liked her boyfriend and since he has money he's perfect for nuMP. I also liked her friendship with Matt, one of the few that worked.

5. Billy and Alison. These have to be two of the most polarizing characters in Melrose history. Most people seem to have negative things to say about them, but I find myself loving them. From the start they had great chemistry and were the first interesting characters I saw. I never recall having strong feelings for Andrew Shue but he's like my baby daddy right now. There is something so cute about him and I do think he's an impressive actor. He has a nice old school quality and is perfect opposite Courtney Thorne Smith. She's another underrated actor. Allison is very idealistic, but she isn't perfect as they showed early with the Keith affair. I eagerly await those smackdowns Amanda gave her. I actually am sad to think she and Billy didn't get a proper goodbye.

Now as I finish the season, I look forward to seeing what kind of impact Amanda has on the show. I'm going to assume it just continues to get better. But is she truly the main reason? I'll have to see. I also am looking forward to season two which I've already ordered. I recall it being very dull. I remember Matt and Katya's story lasting a long time and making me want to kill myself. Of course in light of this new series it may be riveting by comparison.

• Members

ITA. I admit that I liked the early Amanda, who messed with everyone else's lives, but she was never one of my favourite characters.

I always thought CTS was a strong actress and she basically carried the first season single-handed. Wasn't she also supposed to appear on the remake?

Season 2 was hit-and-miss. The one storyline that kept this season interesting was the quadrangle involving Michael, Sydney, Kimberly and Jane. That was just fantastic and those four were my favourite characters during that time. Matt and Katya was painful to watch and the whole Steve McMillan plot involving Alison, Billy and Jo was dreadful as well.

• Members

CTS is an awful actress and the character of Allison was the WORST thing about Melrose, always.

UGH! I hated her sooooo much.

what saved melrose was amanda coming in, a change in tone and direction, and really the michael storyline with his women syd, kim, and jane. IMHO anyways.

Archived