Melrose Place Spinoff: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

IMO, no one person turned the show around. Everyone mentions the arrivals of Amanda, Syd, Kimberly, and Jo, but for me, the changing of the writing for Michael goes right along with that. The show needed a really slimy character that we could ROOT for, because it'd be too easy to have a villain of the week who comes and tries to screw up the harmonious lives of the tenants. It needed to be someone that everyone knew, and it needed to be someone who would still have reason to go to the building even though everyone there was rolling their eyes at him.

Whoever said the Steve plot is dreadful, I sorta agree. Considering Allison just dealt with the whole Keith thing, you'd think she'd be wary of a guy that she's telling to back off but is still pushing to start something with her.

• Members

Yeah All My Shadows, that's what I was trying to say. I think so many different things helped improve Melrose. The arrival of Jo and Amanda. Eliminating Sandy. Throwing Sydney into Michael and Jane's lives. Making the show more serialized. It was a complete overhaul.

And I maintain my love for Alison. Just focusing on season one she is great.

• Members

I'm kinda done with Melrose 2.0.

Amanda is an accomplice to art theft? REALLY?! AMANDA?! Whose daddy "bought her the building"?! The Amanda who owns a nationwide(and possibly global) AD/PR firm?!

Heather Locklear's second wind is basically a wet, stinky fart. Slavkin/Schwimmer should be ashamed of themselves for butchering the Melrose revival.

• Members

Amanda hardly did anything spectacular in season 1. She didnt emerge as the mega bitch that people loved to hate until season 2. She was a relatively good person in season 1. Her biggest sin was that she was ambitious and went after what she wanted but that was hardly a flaw.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm 14 episodes into season two and it's not as bad as I remembered.I recall loving Michael and Jane as time went on, but they were so horrid in season one that I was sure my opinion would change. Strangely enough, everything with Michael, Sydney, Kimberley and Jane is the high point of this season. It's good old simple soap storytelling and it works. Now Kimberly is dead, Sydney is a hooker and sexy Michael is recovering from his accident at Jane's. Oh the possibilities!

The worst story remains Katya and Matt. I'd rather Rhonda had stuck around to interact with Matt. I do miss her. The most disappointing change is whatever has happened to Jo. This is not the bad ass character i fell in love with in season one. She doesn't even dress like Jo anymore. This is a nightmare. I also feel like they broke her and Jake up too soon. I'm not seeing much chemistry with Jake/Amanda or much of a point. It seems like they're stretching to fit Amanda in so far this season. I'm also not crazy about the plot with Alison and Steve. Again, the break up with Billy was too soon and Parker Stevenson is not a viable love interest for Courtney Thorne Smith.

So far I'd rate season 2 as a C. Michael and is rotating women is the only great story. The others are overall very mediocre and only one dreadful story (Matt/Katya).

• Members
Everything with Matt was one of the worst stories on the show. He was one bad story after the other. He was good as a supporting character in other characters plots but not when he was on his own. I think one of the reasons why I was so disintrested was since he was gay, his storyies tended to be isolated from the rest of the cast, whereas the other characters stories overlapped with each others. They'd bring in some newbies for a few episodes for Matt and then they'd go away. There wasnt much reason to get invested in anything focusing on him as a result

They definetly broke up Jo and Jake too soon. I felt they could have been one of the show's star couples but the show didnt let them get that far. After this, they almost reunite as she looks for her baby, but that goes nowhere. Their 3rd attempt at a relationship happens after his siter in law comes to town but the show ruined them as a couple by this point by making Jo so unlikeable and having Jake hook up with that sleaze

• Members

I'm just gonna say that, though it is very flawed and some of the storylines (Amanda the art thief?) are hack jobs, I love Melrose 2.0. Love Katie Cassidy, Love Heather Locklear, Love that Ashlee Simpson and Colin Egglesfield were fired to pay for Heather Locklear.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

All of you Allison Parker haters are on crack! I'm 14 episodes into season three and she's my absolute favorite. Yes she's a heroine, but she's not the sainted type with endless problems and people saving her. From day one she's been self-centered and as a result she creates most of her own problems. The discovery that her father had molested her has kicked off a great alcoholism plot which sent the bitch spiraling even more out of control. I love seeing her continue to screw up at work, with her friends and Billy. Alison is like comic gold. Just a total idiot who can't seem to get anything right.

Another enjoyable "heroine" is Jane. Like Allison, a total bitch (worse than Amanda!) from day one and she just keeps getting worse and worse. I never felt any sympathy for Jane because she's such a selfish brow-beating bitch. It seems as time goes on she becomes more selfish and manipulative. Jo has rebounded with this pregnancy. Still not the Jo I loved at first, but she's settled into this drippy heroine (the most authentic one on the show) role nicely. I like that they minimized her pregnancy and only focused on it in ways that would fit into this type of show. The custody trial and subsequent inclusion of Kimberly were inspired choices.

Speaking of Kimberly, she's an absolute joy! She's so delightfully wacky and while she doesn't have sanity on her side, she's very smart and her plans are always well thought out. I love that Michael didn't reveal that Kimberly ran him down. It enhanced Sydney and Jane's story arc, made Jo giving her the time of day plausible and of course kept Kimba around for the entire series. I still can't imagine how they'll milk two more seasons after she blows up the building, but this is Melrose. I recall loving her final season so we'll see...

Re-watching the original makes me hate the new series more and more. Amanda, for example, really hasn't done anything too bad so far. Yes she's a shrewd business woman, but that doesn't make her the devil. With Allison, for example, everything is deserved. She never comes to work, when she does her work is poor, she tried to steal Amanda's job, etc. What do people expect Amanda to do? Yes she's done some man-stealing, but nothing too major.

I'd say season 3 is just about perfect. SUCH an improvement on the previous season.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived