Melrose Place Spinoff: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Administrator

Amanda's first scene reminded me what I missed from the old Melrose - the one liners!

"You know when I hired you to give this place a makeover, I didn't mean smear it with lipstick and turn it into a 5 dollar hooker. This office is pathetic."

"Anton V? More like Anton 'Y', as in why are we spending so many man hours on a denim line and I think we both know what I mean buy man hours. You could've been a leader, Caleb. But your focus shifted from your client's assets to your client's ass. You're fired. And get out - take your bat and balls with you."

The ending was pretty intriguing - "Amanda, you'll never find it! Sydney."

I'm glad Amanda ratted on Riley (and that Ella didn't do it), I hope this means she'll find a more interesting job (that will lead to better stories) because making a school teacher was pretty boring.

They sure did, eh! The Violet/Auggie table sex was another reminder of the old Melrose. And Ella making out with that agent......HOT!!!!

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Toups, I pretty much agree with everything you've said. This episode was amazing. I dont understand why The CW is going to do a Vampire Diaries marathon over a week when it already HAS viewers. They should be doing it for Melrose Place, promoting the hell out of it and doing a marathon to get new viewers.

My only peeve was the bad surgery that has destroyed Locklear's face. Seriously, it was very distracting. And I hope we've not seen the last of Victor Webster, they could have done a lot with that character.

• Members

MP is up against some steep competition in DWTS and SYTYCD. The CW should see how MP performs once these two shows wrap up their season.

As far as Locklear's appearance, I was more distracted in that opening scene than in later scenes in the episode. Maybe I just got used to it. I don't think it's surgery though, maybe excessive botox. It looks like she just needs to heal a bit and let the swelling go down.

• Administrator

I'm telling you, they have to at least move it to another timeslot or pair it with One Tree Hill. But of course instead, they already have their Monday lineup set with Life Unexpected. It's cleary not working on Tuesdays after 90210.

• Members

This show is simply awful which is a sad thing. The tone has always been wrong and the new characters are terrible. I'm not interested in Amanda's return either because she's stuck with all these worthless newbies. Honestly, everyone except Lauren, Ella and David (only due to his connection to Michael) should be dumped. Then make Michael, Amanda, Jo and Jane regulars and bring new characters to interact with this new group of characters. It needs a lighter, campier touch, especially when handling dark issues. We need different types of characters.

I don't know if you guys remember her, but there was an amazing character on the original series. I *think* her name was Sydney and she was Jane's sister. She was the cutest, most lovable bumbling scheme I've ever seen on soaps. I loved her various looks and all the cutesy things she'd get involved with. This character Laura Leighton is doing a terrible job playing is not the character she made famous. I wish when reviewing the show people would note how off her characterization is instead of making it seem like viewers don't care about Sydney. This ISN'T Sydney.

I will watch it to the end and I guess it's a nice treat since the final season was kinda dull, but I'm so disappointed. I'm glad I got to see Jo again. She left far too soon on the original series. Other than that? Kick rocks and I won't miss ya next season!

• Members

Please kill off Reily. She is much worse than Alison ever was. Her character belongs to Hillside, she is horrible. I hope she killed Sidney :P , but I think my sister solved that murder mystery after the first episode when she claimed that Vanessa Mancini propably killed her.

So Caleb, the only guy who acted like a guy with balls is out? :( I hope not. These writers have no idea how to write a primetime soap. Degrassi Place 90210 is not a soap. David aka Rick Forrester 1999 has no direction as a character. Is he a con-artist? A spoiled brat? A playboy? A nice cute guy? Auggie and Violet are very miserable characters and as someone predicted a few days ago, Ella the only interesting character, is being Alisonized.

I was thrilled to see Amanda again, if Heather hadn't shown up, I doupt I would ever watch again.

The Ella-Melissa scene was hot though ;)

• Members

YES! Victor Webster caught my eye the first time he appeared on the show. And he plays a hot and delicious gay guy no less. I say, in their attempt to "re-boot" the show or whatever, they should make Victor Webster a cast regular, maybe have HIM move into the apartment and become the landlord (why must all the landlords of that apartment complex be female?) And certainly if they can let Ella kiss and make out with cute girls then they can definitely let Caleb kiss and make out with cute guys. Come on now........

• Members

If only!

Seriously, if I was in charge I would focus the show around Amanda, Ella, David (with a little work on the character), Lauren, Caleb and some new characters. Make Michael and his wife regulars. It would have lots and lots of sex and be a real guilty pleasure. The only problem with this incarnation is that they seem to want the show to have lots of sex and be a real guilty pleasure, but are scared to fully commit due to the young demographic they are targeting. Melrose Place shouldn't be targeting the tweens that watch 90210 and the teens who watch Gossip Girl, it should be targeting a much wider audience. The Vampire Diaries clearly (and understandably) has a strong following, why not move it to Tuesdays and put 90210 on a Thursday? It might just give this show a chance.

• Members

Vampire Diaries success on a difficult night is too good for CW to risk moving it. I'd swap things by putting 90210 and Gossip Girl together, Smallville/Melrose (during the week when Smallville would get ratings) and pair OTH with the midseason drama. I think if you look at TV, the highest rated shows with 18-49 viewers have little to no teen characters. If they want ratings and to survive, they need to get adults watching the network. Melrose could've done that with a bigger focus on adult tenets, but it was so immature that it turned off original fans and newbies weren't interested.

Archived