EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

There has been quite a lot of blowback about the cost of the set in light of the falling ratings and general dislike of the state of the show. also, because the BBC is facing cuts and so much money was spent.

These episodes coincide with a change of timeslot in the UK. EastEnders now airs Mon-Thurs at 8pm, brought about by ITV changing the timeslots of Emmerdale and Coronation St.

Disaster was predicted with EE facing Emmerdale every night but initial ratings weren't as bad as predicted.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

One for those on here who still watch Eastenders.

Ive completely fallen out of the loop with the show and understand that Jon Sen’s name is off the credits and that the last couple of weeks have seen an almost overnight improvement in quality.

Is this true? And if so, has the new producer taken over? And do we think it bodes well for the future?

From what I understand, the show has been pretty rotten the last couple of years under Sen.

• Members

I have been watching regularly again since it was first announced Jon Sen was leaving and I would say there is a significant marked improvement. However, when it comes to the UK shows I really don't know if any producer has been worse then Jon Sen so almost anything would seem better. Kate Oates is currently showrunning temporarily until Chris Clenshaw takes over. I presume his first credited episode will be in the summer, but he started IRL in January. I've come in and out of watching this show many times, so I'm taking a wait and see approach and giving Clenshaw a chance. At the very least, the show doesn't seem like it's running away from itself anymore. I also encourage you to watch Zack Morris' final week of episodes. He was fantastic. 

• Members

While I do feel that there is some improvement, I don't think it's improved as much as others feel it has. I think the Gray Story and Jon Sen were both so hated, that both leaving at the same time, caused a bit of a "placebo effect". It would be almost impossible for it to not look better. I'm still reserving judgment until Chris's name starts to appear in the credits.