EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Members

In all fairness the UK Soaps are different than the US Soaps. It seems random coz the UK Soaps don't have a structure anymore like back in the day. They don't think about their storys for the long run. They are writting explosive and random storys that click with the audience to win BAFTAs, NTA's, British Soap Awards.

And it shows that they are just trying to win awards like Coronation Street. It's as boring as EE but they always have that one story that people click with and vote for.

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The main difference is Corrie still has some characters one can care about, and tries to maintain integrity in some of them. EE is entirely hollow at this  point,  lurching from  one plot device to another even as none of it makes sense or is worth watching. The worst part now is the incredibly pathetic obsession with bringing up past moments as a checklist - it's like mainlining Wikipedia summaries as scripts.

• Members

But Corrie is starting to become like EastEnders. Yeah Corrie may have some more relatable and more likeable characters but not by much.

EE could've kept on being an Award Winning show if they would've finished the abuse storyline of Chantelle and her death. I mean Gray is still around and he not only got away with abusing his wife. He also got away with killings. U should've seen the Corrie threads a couple of days ago after Corrie won best soap. All Fans voted for Corrie coz it did the violence story right until court. If Corrie would've stopped there and finish the story and the verdict at court rightfully Corrie would be the best soap around forever. But of course it has to drag on for unneeded bs. Like the Geoff/Yasemeen Story. It was a good story on paper and the acting was fine but why dragging it out for so long that people stop caring?

That's the same with the never ending Phil of EastEnders, Who is taking this fool still serious?

EastEnders was one of my favorite shows back in the day but when they killed off my Mitchell Sisters Roxy and Ronnie i was nearly done with this show.

The only good story EE had in the past 1-2 years was the 35th Anniversary, Ians exit, Dotty being Dotty and annoying everyone else (Fans and characters on the show :D) the cancer story of Jean. Otherwise this show has nothing to offer.

Edited by AMCOLTLLover

• Members

Probably not. I hope he's gone soon, they couldn't have got a bigger chav. Dotty has been delightful this week. Even though her mother's recast is basically a whole new character (if I'm remembering correctly?) I love that she's getting some meaty material.

• Members

Yes. Liam is now an amoral, one note thug, like so many others on the show. 

I finally decided this week to fully stop watching until Kate Oates and Jon Sen are both gone. I know many would sell a kidney for her, but I just can't take any more of their work. 

• Members

Same. I still keep up with spoilers and watch the occasional clip, but I've stopped watching full episodes. It's just not worth my time anymore. The show is terrible. 

Jon Sen's contract should be up in either Nov or Dec, so hopefully at the very least we get an announcement of him leaving soon. They both need to go, but even just Sen leaving would be a good thing. 

• Members

Spot on

I don't even find it 'terrible'. It's just ... existing at the moment? I mean, I'm basing it on this year. I guess I happened to start watching again regularly during the 'slower' time.

It does seem like it got 'worse' under Sen. 

I can see this.

I almost feel like they might have received some heat for the show hence things becoming 'boring'. It's reminding me of the US soaps where they're either checked out or micromanaging. Though I'm still not entirely familiar with how much control and say a series producer has on the UK soaps. Carl told me a lot of the Corrie/Emmerdale decisions are ITV based.

So does it fall on Oates?

Edited by KMan101