EastEnders: Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, DRW50 said:

I'm not even sure where I'd begin, but:

Denise and Jack marry in an intimate ceremony with Libby returning. Jordan also returns...befuddled when he learns Lucas had told everyone he was dead. Jack struggles to feel especially close to his own children, but becomes a father figure to Jordan. Jordan raises insecurities in Isaac, leading Sheree to scheme against him, leading to conflict between Patrick and Sheree. 

As part of a creative writing class, Denise details her dramatic life story. After getting rave reviews, she decides to become a writer. Her first book is a critical darling, which causes a man claiming to be her father to come out of the woodwork. 

All the dramas, along with a heavy caseload, lead Jack to pay less and less attention to Amy and Richard. Phil, wanting more access to Raymond, gets in touch with Sam, convincing her to fight for custody of Richard, and to dig up dirt on Jack's very dirty past.

Jay and Honey part ways after she terminates their unplanned pregnancy. Jay relapses into drugs, with Pam Coker, Phil, Rainie, and a guilt-ridden Billy helping him get clean. 

Shirley becomes obsessive with finding Tina. This climaxes on the night of Whitney and Gray's engagement party when a very much-alive Tina storms into the packed Vic with her sister, revealing that she pretended to be dead until Gray dumped her body. Gray takes Stuart hostage. Ben is near and has the chance to intervene, but is frozen in fear. Callum, who has a gun hidden, has to take a kill shot from a distance, knowing he could easily kill his own brother. Luckily, he gets Gray, but no matter how much he tells Ben he understands, he clearly does not. 

As various Walford residents attempt to celebrate at a back-to-normal garden party, a strange young man who bears an eerie resemblance to Jamie Mitchell collapses. Sonia nurses him back to health and is encouraged to find new love and life experiences. Phil, for the first time in many years, is overcome with shame, and nearly falls off the wagon until Kat stops him. Ben is crushed when he overhears Phil tell Kat that he thinks he was cursed with Ben for the way he treated Jamie. Martin, even more guilt-ridden and with zero support, descends into alcoholism. Ruby is disgusted by his weakness and confesses all her crimes to him when she knows he will be too drunk to properly understand. She decides to leave Walford, selling E20 to Kheerat, Dotty, Tiffany, Keegan and Vinny. A lonely Kim takes pity on Martin and they slowly fall in love.

Bernadette backs out of being a surrogate, but Karen, pregnant after a one-night stand with Mitch, and knowing she is too old and poor to raise another baby, lets them adopt hers.  

Phil and Kat marry. Ben pretends to be happy for them all the way up to the reception, where he lights into them in an unhinged speech that leads Phil to disown him - for good. 

A distanced Callum is further put off by Ben's tantrums about Phil and Kat, his lack of interest in helping Jay,  his crime sprees, and his lack of patience with Lexi. He and Vinny slowly begin an affair. When Ben catches them, he doesn't let on, playing the doting husband as he cuts Vinny's brakes. Unfortunately for him (if not for viewers...), Ash jumps into his car when she walks in on Peter and Suki post-coitus. She dies of her injuries. Peter returns to New Zealand with his tail between his legs. Suki pretends not to care, but is secretly devastated, and goes through a lengthy breakdown that Jean, in spite of Suki's awful treatment of her, helps her through. Suki becomes the crime lord of Walford, since apparently we must always have one, but a human one.

Callum files for divorce and shacks up with Vinny. Ben and Phil have a vicious argument when Phil catches him about to torch Vinny's new club. Phil has a massive stroke. Ben and Kat go to war over Phil's 'empire,' with a returning Louise torn between them. Kat also struggles to raise her kids, but is relieved when Zoe returns to help her. She does not realize Zoe has several secrets...

Lee returns to Walford to help Mick after Linda chooses to spend the remainder of her pregnancy with her mother, to avoid stress. Old tensions flare, and Whitney stirs the pot between Lee and Mick for reasons even she doesn't fully understand. 

Rainie and Stuart grow apart due to the stress of raising two small children. Stuart steps in to keep Whitney away from Mick, leading them to begin a sexual relationship neither are fully comfortable with but both need. Rainie, meanwhile, begins to fixate on Jay, and, as he gets close to her children and appreciates her humor and vulnerability, they also begin a relationship. To make matters even messier, both feeling like outsiders, Jay and Whitney begin to develop feelings for each other. 

Chelsea's various debts lead her to take more and more risks. Lee saves her from some thugs. She tries to keep a distance, not wanting to define herself by another man, especially after learning of his baggage, but the intense sexual and emotional attraction is too much to resist. Their various issues and painful pasts push them away from each other more than once, but they never stay apart for long. Chelsea gets her old job at the Vic back and slowly forms a friendship with granny-from-hell Shirley.

Long nights at the club and many opportunities for fun and adventures make Tiffany and Keegan realize they married too young. They end up having a threesome with Dotty, leading to many murky complications.

Kathy is contacted by a young man who claims to be Donna Ludlow's son, abandoned at birth. Kathy is doubtful, and when his story turns out to be true, struggles to balance her getting to know him with the memories of her rape and painful relationship with Donna haunting her yet again.  

An isolated Sharon leans more and more on new brother Zach. Shaken to the core when a blood test tells her that Albie is Phil's son, not Keanu's, Sharon begins calling Zach, "Dennis," here and there, always apologizing when she does. Zach tries to ignore this, but is horrified when Sharon tries to kiss him. A mortified Sharon has a breakdown and wanders off in the night, leaving Zach to take care of Albie. Various residents begin the hunt for her, which also leads her sister Vicky to return to Walford. 

I would love for this to be on my screen!!! Also love the legacy characters returning to the canvas too. It has balance of family, community, and sensationalism. 

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Forever8 said:

I would love for this to be on my screen!!! Also love the legacy characters returning to the canvas too. It has balance of family, community, and sensationalism. 

I know that was a whole lot of blather to go through so I appreciate you reading it and your kind words. I know most of that would never get on EE (probably for the best), but I do think some of those ideas could work and the cast would deliver if given the chance. 

I also wanted to write a fic on Walford Web sometime so at least this has reminded me that I should do so.

33 minutes ago, DRW50 said:

I know that was a whole lot of blather to go through so I appreciate you reading it and your kind words. I know most of that would never get on EE (probably for the best), but I do think some of those ideas could work and the cast would deliver if given the chance. 

I also wanted to write a fic on Walford Web sometime so at least this has reminded me that I should do so.

No I don't mind reading it at all!!! I hope they eventually will bring back Vicki because Sharon needs more of her family around more than ever. And they might as well go ahead and recast Zoe because Michelle Ryan doesn't want to come back. 

5 hours ago, Forever8 said:

If it was up to you @DRW50@NothinButAttitude how would you fix EastEnders? I'm curious to read your thoughts if you have any. Thanks!!! 

I've been so far removed from EE every since they had Bobby kill Lucy. But if I did have one suggestion, it would be to get rid of anything and anyone with the last name MITCHELL. 

Phil would die. Ben would take Callum and his seed and go far away. 

Raymond would be the only "Mitchell" left, but he'd grow up in a loving environment thanks to Denise, Patrick, and whomever else is in the Fox orbit.

Dare I say it but I'd scrap the Beales too minus Kathy and Peter. Ian is too heinous at this point and Bobby would be sent off too. Sharon can go too. 

I would prefer if the show went back to being about family and community, which is what captivated me when I first started watching.

19 hours ago, NothinButAttitude said:

I've been so far removed from EE every since they had Bobby kill Lucy. But if I did have one suggestion, it would be to get rid of anything and anyone with the last name MITCHELL. 

Phil would die. Ben would take Callum and his seed and go far away. 

Raymond would be the only "Mitchell" left, but he'd grow up in a loving environment thanks to Denise, Patrick, and whomever else is in the Fox orbit.

Dare I say it but I'd scrap the Beales too minus Kathy and Peter. Ian is too heinous at this point and Bobby would be sent off too. Sharon can go too. 

I would prefer if the show went back to being about family and community, which is what captivated me when I first started watching.

I have to agree, I lost interest majorly over the Bobby killing Lucy garbage. It's been a struggle to get back into it over the years. Continued poor writing doesn't help ... lol

Phil feels *very* tired (beyond tired). And it seems like they're kinda desperate throwing Phil and Kat together (not sure where they stand I'm not up to date on the last month or so).

Denise seems to be in constant misery which gets really old. I'd love something different for her. 

I like Sharon being more of a bitch, personally. But she still has a heart. Channel more of her mother. But she feels damaged.

The canvas feels stale too. I'd start bringing some popular characters back and shake things up.

1 hour ago, victoria foxton said:

Please register in order to view this content

And isn't that not good seeing as BBC is like PBS--a tax payer channel? And with EE bringing in ratings like that with their big budget, wouldn't they have to start trimming folks then if they don't get any better? 

10 hours ago, KMan101 said:

I have to agree, I lost interest majorly over the Bobby killing Lucy garbage. It's been a struggle to get back into it over the years. Continued poor writing doesn't help ... lol

Phil feels *very* tired (beyond tired). And it seems like they're kinda desperate throwing Phil and Kat together (not sure where they stand I'm not up to date on the last month or so).

Denise seems to be in constant misery which gets really old. I'd love something different for her. 

I like Sharon being more of a bitch, personally. But she still has a heart. Channel more of her mother. But she feels damaged.

The canvas feels stale too. I'd start bringing some popular characters back and shake things up.

When the show brings back popular characters, they ruin them in no time flat. I'd be all for the show bringing in new families or digging into the annals and digging up characters that we haven't seen in decades. In regard to the Beale family, get rid of Ian's crew and bring on some of Kenny or Maggie's kids. 

21 hours ago, victoria foxton said:

Please register in order to view this content

Seems shock value plots and misery are wearing thin

3 hours ago, Vee said:

The public demands more of @DRW50's Eastenders bible.

Yes we do!

19 hours ago, NothinButAttitude said:

And isn't that not good seeing as BBC is like PBS--a tax payer channel? And with EE bringing in ratings like that with their big budget, wouldn't they have to start trimming folks then if they don't get any better? 

When the show brings back popular characters, they ruin them in no time flat. I'd be all for the show bringing in new families or digging into the annals and digging up characters that we haven't seen in decades. In regard to the Beale family, get rid of Ian's crew and bring on some of Kenny or Maggie's kids. 

Yeah, I think Ian's family is worn out. I have no interest in Peter. Bobby is .... and Lucy is dead. I'd keep Kathy of course. But you're right. They do seem to ruin them. I would dig deeper too. 

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, Liberty City said:

Dying to start watching this soap. Wish a platform other than BritBox would pick it up.

You could find episodes on most video sharing/upload sites by typing the name of the show and the date of broadcast.

7 minutes ago, LondonScribe said:

You could find episodes on most video sharing/upload sites by typing the name of the show and the date of broadcast.

I know. But, for some reason, my streaming on my PS4 hates those kind of sites.

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I was thinking about him the other day as I was watching some episodes online from his time. I hope he receives help as well. 

I'm trying to watch regularly now ... some thoughts ...

Like I said in the Corrie thread, the UK soaps were feeling a bit lethargic and cash strapped like the US soaps but EastEnders seems to be able to have more extras and feel more 'normal' if you will than Corrie does ...

I like Sharon/Kheerat

Ben/Callum has decent conflict I suppose.

Phil and Kat is unexpected but it actually kind of works and Phil isn't *as* toxic as he was.

Sonia finding her father Terry works for me. 

Martin not being a raging thug for five minutes goes a long way.

Thoughts on Sharon having another brother in Zack? At least this time he's blood related. LOL. I still lowkey cringe when she talks about Dennis as the love of her life. I get it but eww. LOL.

Mo's gone again I see? Mo leaving Jean a garage full of pot is hilarious. I love her. Is Jean dying? Cancer? I missed some details here. I'm assuming she starts lighting up? YES PLEASE.

I like the use of Kathy. Could be a little better but it's fine. Ian really isn't needed anymore. Peter and Bobby fill that spot fine.

I never cared either way about Kush simply because I didn't develop a fondness for him from watching. I really haven't watched much of his time on the show. I did like him with Whitney and it was sad to see him shoved under the train by Gray. It's time to wrap the Gray story up, no? Talk about milking a villain.

I also feel like they kind of ran the gamut with Kush. Storywise I can get the decision to dump him. I know Whitney is popular but couldn't they have just written them out together for a while?

I feel like I started watching the UK soaps again regularly as they were just coming off interesting things. I can't say they set the world on fire this last week.

Edited by KMan101