EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Members

I suppose the same reason they decided to destroy Sharon and Ian's 30 year friendship. The show is 95% plot. They don't care about characters. 

Jamie is a great young actor. Agreed that it is a shame how little he is used. Now a days Jay only exists to prop up Ben and Callum.  Part of me wishes he'd move on and try his talents elsewhere since EastEnders isn't using them, but I don't blame him for keeping a steady gig. 

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Jumped the shark is what I think.

They've done this with Kush too. A character with potential who they just paired with any random woman they seemed to pick out of a hat rather than someone he'd probably be suited to like Ruby. None of the relationships seem to make much sense, like how Ruby would never have looked twice at Max or Martin.

The Ian/Sharon thing is just the lowest of lows though. I'm not sure if I can remember a time when EE was structurally in such a damaging place in terms of its direction. At least in 2018 with crap characters like Aidan it was just rubbish new characters. Now they're destroying their originals.

• Members

Honey was never really a mother to Jay - there were periods of a few months at a time where she would be maternal toward him, but most of the time they were in different paths (especially the last few years). With that said, the whole thing is just empty and clearly a stopgap until Billy and Honey reunite (which I have less than no interest in seeing). The moment where Billy confronted Jay was so badly acted, especially by Perry Fenwick. 

Even worse is that the relationship began again Jay saved Honey from being raped. The misogyny of "Queen Kate" and Jon Sen is staggering.

I've never seen the actors as clearly over the material as they are now. The Christmas episode was terrible, one of the all time worst for EE, but what really made the badness stand out was the complete lack of [!@#$%^&*] given by people like Jake Wood, Danny Dyer, Adam Woodyatt (awful!!!) and Letitia Dean. Max Bowden was also incredibly poor.

I will cut and paste my Walford Web review here.

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Oddly, the best parts of the Christmas episode were from characters this regime has little interest in beyond the surface. Like Denise (even though the story is ridiculous), and Kat was in her element behind the bar again. The stuff with Jean also wasn’t bad.

Ian has been a lost cause for years, and I don’t know what this character is, but it’s not the Sharon I once knew. 

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Members

Absolutely vile. Tina wasn't ever my favorite Carter, but she deserved a better send off. I already see speculation it could be a fake out. I don't care if it is, they've done so many death fake outs, it's a joke. The message they are basically sending is if you try to leave or expose an abuser, you're dead. 

• Members

Wow. So they really killed off Tina? Jesus. 

Also, these shows really need to start straying from the Christmas/New Years murder episodes. It's becoming obvious at this point. I think it does detriment to these shows too as nobody really has to watch until this time of year. Just laziness. 

Much like others, I didn't care for Tina either, but they could've simply wrote her off. And I definitely won't be watching b/c now we gotta watch Shirley and Mick sulk for centuries over this. 

• Members

I actually thought Tina was one of the most tolerable Carters (not necessarily a compliment when you look at the Carters). LOL. So of course they kill her.

Really sad to see how far EastEnders has fallen. It really is a parody of itself, isn't it? 

The miserable Christmas and New Years has always turned me off.

And add me to the list of those who think it's really sad the actor playing Jay is basically window dressing.

Honey/Jay could actually have lots of layers, as icky as it is.

A lot of these stories could actually be turned around.

Jon Sen does seem to be a very bad influence. Not that Oates is any better, really. I haven't been impressed with her history on any show. And with the same producers hopping back and forth between HollyOaks, Emmerdle, Corrie and EastEnders, they've all become similar to each other. Dark. Plotty. Reminds me of Jill Farren Phelps and other US producers who turn their shows in to dark plotty messes. You could at least say it was produced well. EE isn't even produced well. 

Edited by KMan101