EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Members

That is so true. I barely watch as is. Most of the time I either skip the entire episode or am fast forwarding though 90% of the episodes I do watch. I am close to giving up all together. I personally haven't seen a soap this bad since Chuck Pratt's tenure at Young & Restless that forced to me stop watching. 

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Makes my heart hurt. The show has really fallen.

I mean ... Phil and Kat? How desperate can you be? LOL

Sounds like the show has reached the point most of the US soaps reached years and years ago. Sigh

Please register in order to view this content

Though I'd say the UK soaps had been on that trend since around 2001 when shock plots became popular (more-so Corrie, but EE has been on a decline since the mid 2000s I'd argue) and it's finally caught up to them (along with the poor creative decisions). It's left them a hollow show.

They also seemed to be on a never-ending recycling the producer/writer trend as well.

Edited by KMan101

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Was there fan outcry at Mick and Linda leaving the Vic? It wasn't amazing or anything, but Sharon being the "new" landlady could have worked well, and now it's back to Mick & Linda and it feels like they're going backwards. I thought it sort of revitalized them a bit to be out of the Vic too. What was the point?
It only adds to highlighting how random, aimless and confusing the show is.
One good thing is that the episodes' new length (around 20 minutes as opposed to about 28/29) since last year makes it easier to catch up, is it a permanent thing?

• Members

That's how I feel. Who wanted Mick and Linda back at the Pub? Honestly I would write them out at this point. It seems like a way to keep them around. I know Mick has his own story going on but I don't think anyone cares.

Why did they chop down on the amount of the episodes? That's a big cut. But maybe it makes for a tighter show?

I can see that (the bold). It reminds me so much of when the US soaps hit that point. It's sad. I'd argue they're still at that point. Aimless. Things happen but does it really matter?

I'm not always current and watching everything but I do try and keep up.

It's interesting watching the reruns on my local PBS when I can. It's before the show turns really ugly. Little Ben (and little Jay) was adorable and hadn't murdered Heather and Shirley was layered and interesting. This was right before I started getting into the show. Not the best time to pick of course but what can you do?

Edited by KMan101

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Every show has a moment, a storyline, an episode, an axing that makes the viewers revolt to such an extent the senior executives take note, then take action. This appears to be that moment.

I suspect Jon Sen is not long for his position. Given everything that has happened on the show since the 35th anniversary, this moment seems to have caused the biggest backlash.

• Members

Jesus. So they killed off Kush? Like why?

Also, this show is starting to suffer from what put US soaps in the bind they're in--doing plot-driven stories for shock effect. At the end of the day, what long-time purpose will this serve for the canvas? Frankly, I see no purpose at all. Yet another pointless murder on this show.