EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Members

Not surprised since there was rumors earlier this year that she was thinking of not renewing her contract.  This is going to be a big loss for the show. The show already major problem with the lack of long time characters and now they are losing another one. She was also popular with younger viewers.

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I can see Maisie being back in a few years when the money dries up. I'm enjoying the show at the moment. I think it's got a good cast generally (other than Stuart, Rainie, the Panesars and a few others). The problem is it feels like it's lacking energy and nothing big is going on. It doesn't feel like there are big stories bubbling under the surface.

They've done a good job with the child recasts, I think the new Tommy and Lily are good. I think the Bobby and Dotty recasts are good too. Peter, Ben and Liam less so. Hopefully they recast Ben and Peter again down the line. They are morons for getting rid of the last Ben.

Edited by Skylover

• Members

I like most of the cast too. You're spot on in your assessment of the show though. It's lacking energy and nothing big is going on. And like you said doesn't feel like we're building towards anything. 

I think it's why I perk up more when Janine is on and she's interacting with well-established characters and you can tell the actors are upping it a bit and bringing some energy. IMO. But even the Janine/Kat 'battle' over Scarlett feels flat. So far. 

I could do without Stuart and Rainie too. I like Vinny and Kheerat and even Suki, but I'm not sure what their goal is with the Suki/Honey stuff. They had a nice friendship, the kiss happened and now it's a power struggle, if you will. 

Lots of little stories are going on, which is good to see, but that's how it should be. These are the potatoes. Where's the meat? lol

I guess the bubbling secret of "Rocky" and Dotty has some potential but it's not quite the same.

I feel like they hesitate pulling the trigger on ending Gray but that would boost them a bit. Build it up, climax it and give us a payoff. Seems like it was going that way, then we had him with his dad and circling back to Whitney. Lots of people could be suspects if he was murdered ... just saying.

I will say I like that Sonia is single and becoming more of a 'matriarch', if you will. It works. I hated the years of her vs. Pauline. It never worked for me. Not everyone has to have an attitude or be a bitch EastEnders

Please register in order to view this content

lol 

There's a definite 'lack of direction' going on with the show. Some of the characters could use a purpose. They do have a pretty large cast though and do a decent job overall.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

Yeah, Janine's story feels a bit flat and yet she's still a highlight because she's a great character, I agree with that.

I think this is why I was a bit disappointed that it turned out Rocky isn't her dad, because it felt like they were investing in her. But on the other hand, it just means they switched to investing in Dotty/the Cottons and ultimately to me that's also a positive as I want the Cotton name to continue without Dot. Sonia does feel like she's becoming a good character. I also like overall how Kathy's been used in the last year.

• Members

Huh? It wasn't just a rumor that Maisie was leaving.. She promoted her move to the States way before Covid-19. lmao I was surprised that she stayed until the end of 2021..

She will be another one of those who will end up back in the UK and if its not back with EE she will be on Oaks or Corrie

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Agreed on Sonia. I liked the idea that Rocky was her dad but I also like that he's a Cotton. I think it could still be a complex relationship but who knows. I thought it would be good if he actually WAS her father but was still on the scheme with Dotty. I guess they could but it would probably make it more convoluted than it needs to be. 

I also hope they don't write Rocky into a corner. I like the actor but I feel like he'd be the 'fall guy'. I liked his relationship with Kathy too.

Agreed on the use of Kathy. I'd like a little more perspective from her at times.

While they don't seem to know what to do with Sharon (I feel like Dean is trying to infuse her with some Angie energy, personally), I think it's been interesting seeing characters like Sonia, Sharon, Kat and even Janine become more of the 'matriarchs' of the show. It works.

I also like Sharon's brother Zack. He's certainly livened Martin up. Martin actually laughing and not raging 24/7 has been so nice.

I don't mind Mick and Linda but I also don't really miss them ...

Ah. I haven't always closely followed the UK soap news ... lol. I'm not surprised at all she wanted to leave. I assume the pandemic delayed her move so she stayed on the show. I definitely see her back in time.

With Tiffany out, Bernadette not written like she can have a love interest ... we have Liam and Keegan and no one to pair them with. 

I feel like the show forgets about Ash (I did). Looks like they're giving her something to do.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

RIP to one of the most important, stabilising producers the show had in the late 80’s.

When The Bill Executive Producer Peter Cregeen was hired by the BBC as Head Of Drama in 1989, it was Michael Ferguson (and Pat Sandys, I believe) that Cregeen took with him and placed at Eastenders. It was important because previous producer Mike Gibbon had completely misjudged the tone of the show and took it to the other end of the spectrum after Julia Smith, with silly comedy mixed in with poor drama, and an aborted idea for an IRA terrorist bomb in 1988. 

Ferguson brought his production and storytelling chops from The Bill and steadied the show from 1990-1991, creating The Mitchell Brothers, and Eddie Royale, as well as bringing Nick Cotton back and Diane’s runaway story. The show was lucky to then move onto the late, great Leonard Lewis, but that’s another conversation.

I went on a Casualty binge last year and was surprised to find out that Ferguson was the producer of Series 8, a sleeper hit of a period, the last really good period before they started to bring more soapy elements to the show.

They don’t have his like producing anymore. Eastenders could really do with people like him and Pat Sandys.