EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm not happy about the male rape story, either. I'm sick of them ruining Ben's character, constantly portraying him as a victim. They need to send him away and recast him again back to somebody who actually looks like Ben Mitchell.

Meanwhile, I'm loving Sam's return. It's quiet in here. Where y'all at?

• Members

I used to be a "Ballum" fan and Callum is still one of my favorites, but they've totally destroyed Ben as a character. At this point, I think I've moved past hate to pure apathy towards him. This rape story reeks of desperation to force the viewers to having sympathy for Ben. It's not going to work. 

I don't know if I'd recast, but Max Bowden's acting has gone down hill a lot. I haven't impressed with his acting in at least 18 months and he's delivered some very cringeworthy performances. Some of that I think is down to him hating the writing for Ben as much as we do.  Ben does need a long break off screen. Like  6 months to a year at least. 

Overall, I'm not finding the show that great. It's mildly improved compared to when Sen was in charge, but there really isn't any story that interests me. I'm curious what Chris Clenshaw is going to do. His material hasn't started yet and still no interviews or anything to signal what his vision or plans for the show might be. 

• Members

Kate Oates is a deeply sick producer. She has told this story on all her soaps, and it always involves very lurid material that fetishizes sexual assault and tells viewers not to go to the police. As long as she continues to be at EE, nothing will ever improve, no matter what her devotees claim. 

• Members

So we have had one LGBT character murdered and her body stashed somewhere, and now another one is going to be raped. Absolutely brilliant EE! 

I was actually going to dip in and check on how EE is doing with Sam's return, I've seen some positive things said about it, but now I'm not so sure I should get back in considering what is  coming. 

Edited by MichaelGL

• 1 month later...
  • Members

@Vee I haven't watched the episode yet, but the bits I've seen leading up are pure propaganda - characters going on about "Her Majesty" and how "family means everything" to her, and a very pointed choice to remove the portrait of Lady Di in the Queen Vic (the landlady is or until now was a huge fan of Diana's) replaced with one of HRH.

It's obvious that the BBC, which is so cowed by the Tories at this point, mandated all of this.