EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Members

I loved it, too. I stopped watching back in April, but I knew I had to turn into this (and tomorrow's) to say goodbye to Dot/June Brown, and the show, thankfully, did not disappoint. I actually first teared up when Kathy started talking about Donna, and was just so enamored throughout. I'd honestly welcome back all the returnees home for good. I'd never even seen any of Disa before, but I was still able to feel for her and her loss. I hope tomorrow is just as good.

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I haven’t gotten to the funeral episode yet, but the scenes where Sonia told everyone in the Vic that Dot had died felt brutally real. Gillian, Letitia, Natalie, and Rudolph all seemed very cut up inside -  but they all knew June for decades and were very close to her off-screen as well. 

The touches of Martin mentioning how close Dot was to everyone important in his life, and Sharon saying she knew Dot all her life were nice and didn’t feel tacked on either.

I guess Dot’s greatest legacy was the impact she was able to have on other people’s children lives, the kind she was never able to have with her Nick. In the end, that’s what nurtured her as it did others.

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Members

I wasn't impressed by Dot's funeral episodes. It really wound me up how they had that cheesefest procession of everyone standing up to announce their memories of Dot, when the scene should have been given entirely to Sonia and could have been a heartfelt moment. There were also a lot of noticeable absences like Max, Carol, Charlie and Nigel.

I did like seeing Barry Clark again though, but it appears that the guy who plays Colin has forgotten how to act. And they already rolled our Mary and Lofty for the last funeral.

• Members

I thought he did a good job, he just didn't really have a lot to do. He hasn't acted professionally since the '80s, I believe, aside from his EE stints. I give him a lot of credit for that, and also for playing out a story of his husband dying of cancer when his real-life husband died of cancer. Admittedly I'm biased because Colin was one of my favorite characters.

The key for me was that last scene with Barry, which was just lovely. Initially I wasn't sure I wanted the characters to be back together because there was a very specific storyline about just why they were not meant to be (the age difference, Colin's fussiness, Barry's fear of being seen as gay, etc.) but hearing that they met up again through social media made sense. Colin being so eager to finally get to kiss him out in the open of Walford, after they had been so scared the last time they lived there together, and Barry's wonderment at it all - just absolutely lovely. 

I don't mind seeing Lofty and Mary again, as they were such important characters for the early years. My main disappointment was no mention of Nigel. And yes, I didn't really love the part with everyone speaking, or Denise bringing up the Queen, although I could forgive as I'm sure it was hard to write.