Ryan's Hope Discussion Thread

• Members

I was a fan of Maggie and Dave the Deli Guy in my youth.  At the time we did not have the "opportunity" of hearing other fans opinions, so I was unaware that people hated the period of the show when the action left the bar.  I later watched the early soapnet episodes and the tone is so different that I understand why long time viewers would not enjoy the Maggie/Max/Dave saga. 

My specific recall is a Friday cliffhanger when a bomb had been placed in the deli.  I was going to summer camp that weekend and made a friend promise to send me a postcard telling me the outcome of the cliffhanger.  Mail took some time in those days, and I got caught up in my own summertime experiences, so when a postcard came and said in big bubble letters, "the bomb never blew" I actually had no idea what it meant.

I compared Maggie to Kimberly because they both shared relationships with Roger that in hindsight seem a little creepy.  Not just the age difference, but Roger got so obsessive when he was in a relationship.  Writers were always walking a fine line with Roger between being romantic and being ominous.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Here's the comment about it:

The Celanese Players included a group of soon-to-be-famous comedy writers and performers, including Steve Martin and Howard Hesseman. Under this revolutionary $3 million ad campaign, the Players improvised a different 1-minute commercial for each "Tonight Show" for a year.

I'll always associate him with Nurses, but he was great on Sledge Hammer. That show was ahead of its time, yet also of its time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

TV One aired an episode of Uncensored about Tichina Arnold tonight. She talked about how she'll always love and be grateful to Michael Levin because he really really went to bat for her to get cast on Ryan's Hope, and because that door opened for her, it led to other opportunities. 

It was sweet how fondly she spoke of him. 

• Members

I just saw this episode on TV One's tragic website. She spoke with a great amount of candor about her life at the time she did RH and AMC.  I remember reading/hearing about the incident at Macys, although at the time, at first it was being reported as a shoplifting incident but obviously that was an erroneous report as it was a stolen credit card but I'm glad she spoke about it and she admitted that this was the first time she'd talked about it publicly.  It sounds as if she succumbed to peer pressure to prove her mettle to run with a fast crowd.  Thankfully, she learned and grew from that.

I remember seeing Tichina and Tisha Campbell on the Little Shop Of Horrors movie as a kid so my impression of them was always as singers.  Tichina Arnold has a powerful voice.  It's great that she still continues to do music.  

Now I want to find some episodes of her when she was on RH.  Are there episodes on You Tube?

• Members

Thanks for sharing -- great to see this!

During the SoapNet run of Ryan's Hope-- one of the entertainment magazine TV shows (can't recall which one) reunited Tichina and Michael Levin. Would like to see that interview again...maybe one day there will be someone who will upload it-- somewhere.