Ryan's Hope Discussion Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

That promo reminded me of the promise of RH vs. the reality. 

I would have loved a show about Pat, Siobhan, and Frank.  The Kennedy-esque undertones, the odd differences in expectations from their parents, and their struggles with maintaining their Catholicism during the sexual revolution.  However, RH was always more focused on Jill, Delia, and Joe and their stories rather than the Ryan's family issues.  In the beginning there was focus on why Delia wanted to join the Ryan family, but that was never contrasted with what motivated Jill and Joe to be part of the Ryan's.  Also, they always made joining the family a bonus but, I can't remember anyone who felt that Maeve and Johnny were  overbearing or too involved.  I always wish soaps included more insight to motivate character growth but RH is great example of a soap that started with a lot more discussions of internal motivations and then left that behind once the Labine's left the show.

• Members

Ilene Kristen (Delia #1) & Nana Tucker/Nana Visitor (Nancy) 

Tune in Tomorrow – Jon Michael Reed
February 20, 1982

When the character of lady mechanic Georgina Whitman surfaced on “One Life To Live'” three months ago, she was intended to be an “interim buffer” to re-introduce the character of Tony Lord. Now, the shows writers have extended the character to be more active. But the actress originally hired to play Georgina has been dropped. Actress Ilene Kristen was the original Delia on “Ryan's Hope.” Her return to the soap world signaled a willingness to combine soap acting's financial security with her outside interest. Unfortunately. Kristen gained a noticeable amount of pounds to her girth between soaps stints. A “OLTL” source claims that Kristen was cautioned to lose the flab or risk her job.

Last week, “OLTL" announced that Nana Tucker will take over the role of Georgina, Interestingly, Tucker's also a “RH” alumna. She played Jewish girl, Nancy Feldman, who had an ill-fated romance with Catholic Pat Ryan. Tucker later portrayed Darcy Collins on “The Doctors.”

Kristen, meanwhile, is rumored to be negotiating with “RH” to resume her role of Delia. The current Delia, Randall Edwards, is, according to another source, tired of the part and not afraid to let her displeasure show. Edwards garnered an Emmy nomination last year and was a delightful Delia. Kristen’s return, should it occur, would, however, be a reminder, and perhaps an inspiration, of the exemplary show “Ryan's Hope” was before it digressed to bloated tales of gangland wars and Egyptian mummy curses.

“RH” has hired Patrick Jame Clarke for the returning role of Pat Ryan.

• Members

It's interesting to hypothesize about who would leak this info.  From the OLTL perspective, they are trying to hype the recast and explain Ilene's departure.  From Ilene's perspective, knowing she was never right for that part, she could be using the leak to help negotiate her next contract.  However, the weight issue does both sources a disservice. 

I loved when the soap press was this vicious.  It seems like historically soap coverage has always been both cattier than the rest of celebrity press as well as more honest about issues involving drugs, alcohol, and other darker aspects of the actors.

• Members

I always liked Lois Robbins.  She's in one of my favorite horror movies from the 80's called Girls Nite Out.  Several  soap stars are in it including Loving's Lauren-Marie Taylor and James Carroll and One Life To Live's Julia Montgomery.  Glad to hear she's still out there working.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members

As I recall, Rae was introduced when her husband died at the hospital (maybe in a helicopter crash?).  Does anyone recall how long it took for Kimberly to be introduced and was it assumed that Rae's husband was her father?  I know it turned out to be Hollis Kirkland, but was Kim's paternity ever discussed prior to his arrival?

• Members

Rae and her husband were introduced a few months before he died. There was a plane issue, I think. He had bad heart problems. They began grooming Frank's political career. She was having an affair with Roger, which he found out about via private investigator. He died during a confrontation with Rae. 

There was no mention of Kimberly. She just arrived, like the bad smell that she was.