Ryan's Hope Discussion Thread

• Members

Ana Alicia (Alicia) has started a blog --not sure why she announced she is re-launching her acting career  -- she had already announced that re-launch in 2015. 

https://www.ana-alicia-ortiz.com/blog/

Dear Friends

As I re-launch my company, QUEBRADA ENTERTAINMENT, my acting career, and my personal life, I begin my blog. Please join me.

In Gratitude and Faith,

Ana Alicia

Edited by safe

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Oh my Lord, people!!  This week's Ryan's Hope episodes were insane!!  I could barely keep myself to watching one episode a day.

Last Friday, Rae showed up at the houseboat with a gun to find Kim and Michael together. After being annoyed with the storyline for awhile this spring, I got WAY back into it when Michael started really playing both of them as well as helping Joe to set up Jack. I had been anxiously awaiting Michael's comeuppance and I was shocked at just how quickly it came.

Every day was must see TV this week - just for the sheer insanity that occurred. The end to Tuesday's ep into the beginning of Wednesday's, where Kim shot the gun and both Rae and Michael were directed to have a huge reaction and then freeze for roughly 10-15 seconds while the camera went from the one to other - SOMETIME IN EXTREME CLOSE UPS!!!! - was just too much. I thought the entire week was written well but the directing and the acting didn't match. 

The actress who plays Rae seems to have a difficult time playing Rae as incredibly stupid and humiliating as she has become; she got back into it once she was confessing to Frank in order to save Kim from going to trial/prison. 

I have no idea how the storyline will play itself out but I predict that it will be discovered that Sal killed Michael when he went to put pressure on him for Joe. I'm very much looking forward to seeing the storyline play out. I want to see Senaca divorce the conniving little witch - and then he can leave the show as far as I'm concerned - what the hell has he had to do for the past year??!! I want to continue to see Rae put through the ringer for all of the horrible things she has done in the past. I want to see Kim lose EVERYTHING!!!!

The Ryan family (what little of it that's left) has been supremely boring lately. Somebody give them a storyline asap!

• Members

It was. Claire Labine was upset as that had nothing to do with her story plans - she did not want Michael to die, she was mostly into writing his relationship with Rae.

My reaction to his being gunned down was more like this:

I don't know what else was and wasn't strike material, but the Jack downfall story is literally the only good story I remember on the show in 1981. 

Have they already had the hilarious Frank jogging scene?

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Yes, the Frank jogging scene happened already. That is such a staple of Daytime Drama (milking the location shooting for all its worth - even if it's just around the corner from the studio) that I didn't even think twice about it. I just knew that DHK has to be leaving for Hardcastle & McCormick soon so I thought he was going to get hit by a car, get amnesia, and disappear from the show for awhile. (I was glad to be wrong about that.)  It was nearly as bad as that endless Ireland location shooting with nothing but voice over from Mary Ryan - LOL    It also reminded me of someone on AMC who was headed to the altar (to Tad?) running in her wedding dress through snowy streets for half an episode before being hit by a car. Or Nicole on AW on her horse headed for the giant truck coming her way for half an episode.  Soaps love to justify the location shooting!

• Members

DHK left Ryan's Hope for the NBC TV series Chicago Story - H&M premiered two years later (1983) 

That 1981 Frank outdoor scene always made me think of Andrew Robinson's Frank going out for a walk ...and then he starts running through the street at night after Jill told him Seneca was the father of her baby with  "lies...Lies...Lies"  goes through his head....until he finally collapses on the steps of St. Patrick's...

• Members

Thanks for the info! I would've said that H&M premiered in '81 from my memory. I was only 9 then which means I would've been 11 when it premiered. Most of my childhood years flow into each other though so I'm not shocked at having the years mixed up. Ha!

Also, I thought of that AR Frank scene as well. I found that one to be far more ridiculous than the 1981 jogging scene. I also didn't care for AR's Frank though so it could have something to do with it. 

Back to RH today. What will happen this week??!!!

He did get hit by the car. Ended up in the hospital. Frank wasn't able to really speak for awhile or say his name (which is why I was thinking amnesia) - all he could get out was "Jill", even though he was about to marry Faith. So Jill was the one who showed up at the hospital and it was this that helped Frank to realize that he wasn't in love with Faith and couldn't marry her. I was sooooooooo glad he figured that out before the wedding so I didn't have to go through their weird marriage before he figured it out and then have to go through a divorce.

Edited by adrnyc

• Members

In Michael Corbett's (Michael Pavel)  April 1983 SOD interview  --he was asked about his departure from Ryan's Hope --he gave a much different version of his leaving than he did in 2007 (on the SN forum from his webmaster). Maybe in 1983 he was  trying to be nice -- or maybe trying to not burn any bridges.

Please register in order to view this content

What Michael said in 2007

I thought you all might find it interesting to know how the end came about for Michael Pavel.

I personally didn't know that they were going to kill off the
character. Kelli Maroney (Kim) and I had just finished a big publicity tour with Luke and Laura from General Hospital.

We got back to town on a Sunday and that Monday I was called into the office by the executive producer at the time Ellen Barrett. She never seemed to like me or the character of Michael Pavel very much. She told me to come in sit down. She said "I have some news for you." "Michael Pavel is going to die."

"You're kidding," I said. "No I'm not" and in Devil Wears Prada finesse she tossed out a parting "That's all."

Within 6 or 7 shows, I was taking bullet shots from Kim and her mother Rae.

Edited by safe