Y&RWorldTurner

Ryan's Hope Discussion Thread

The network really believed their association guaranteed a successful series.  They never realize that viewers don't give a flip about who's created and/or produced this-or-that series if the series is no damn good.

To be honest... I think had the time slot not been switched.. the show would have still be cancelled.. but in the mid 90s.  Besides.. the show was in dire straits by the time the time slot switch happened anyway.

21 hours ago, Soaplovers said:

To be honest... I think had the time slot not been switched.. the show would have still be cancelled.. but in the mid 90s.  Besides.. the show was in dire straits by the time the time slot switch happened anyway.

Good points. The first sign was probably when ABC took ownership of the show in 1980.

The quality of Ryan' Hope really dropped when Robert Costello (who had replaced George Lefferts) departed as the producer and Eileen Barrett replaced him. She also brought down the quality of Search for Tomorrow after she was hired to produce that show!

I'm not sure if this has been posted  in this thread before -

Michael Levin (Jack) as Dr. Arthur Gould on All My Children in March 1994

Michael is seen at approx. 7:17, 18:30, and 25:20

22 minutes ago, amybrickwallace said:

I wonder why he didn't happen onto another good soap role after RH. He also had another short-term gig on ATWT - I think they wound up replacing him with another actor.

When he was interviewed, during the 2000's,  for a segment on Tichina Arnold (Zena), for an evening entertainment program,  he sounded like he had expected to move beyond soap operas after Ryan's Hope ended (he said he had many offers during the run of the show for other acting jobs - only once the show ended, so did the other job offers.)

Edited by safe

Forgive me if this has been posted, but I stumbled upon this 1956 TV clip of Helen Gallagher singing and dancing years before her Sweet Charity Tony nomination. Too bad the video quality gets a bit dodgy when she really starts breaking it down.