Ryan's Hope Discussion Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I know it's a moot point, but SoapNet should have done something to be able to run the entire series. If music rights were the problem, they could have dubbed in generic/public domain stuff. Look at Retro TV's rerunning of The Doctors. Up to this point, they have aired nearly eight years of episodes and have said several times that they are committed to airing the series until its end. Too bad SoapNet didn't show the same commitment to RH and its fans.

• Members

Personally, I always felt like the music rights issue was just an excuse, and that there had to be another reason for SN's not running any episodes past 1981.  Does anyone know what kind of ratings RH reruns scored on SN?  I suspect that maybe the viewership numbers fell off around that point -- which is understandable, since (IMO) that was a rough period for the show -- and that that had something to do with their decision.

• Members

I can't imagine the ratings ever being that great, regardless of the era of the show, but I agree that "music rights" seemed like a lame excuse for not continuing past 1981.

I believe the only time SoapNet commented on ratings for reruns was when they pulled AW from the lineup - saying something like it was registering a 0 rating. 

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

I recall a long time ago where one of the actors interview couldn't wait till the show aired past a certain point because then they would be getting residuals for episodes rerun.. so it is possible it has to do with the performers not getting paid if the reruns stopped at a certain point (end of 1981).

• Members

^Yes, that's exactly what it is. Possibly the writers as well. There was a writers strike in 1981 where a lot of changes happened. The home video market changed everything and I'm sure that, if the writers negotiated a new agreement, the actors probably did as well. Even though I, myself, have been an actor for 25 years, I must admit that I don't know all the details of when we started getting paid for residuals. It couldn't have happened until 81/82 though, because nothing ever got rerun, other than prime time (or syndication) until the advent of cable TV. Then with the home video cassettes became popular and more film and tv episodes were being released in that way, it all went crazy!

https://www.nytimes.com/1981/07/12/us/tentative-accord-reached-in-strike-of-screen-writers.html

I still love Randall - it's just the character of Delia I can stand. I simply cannot buy that any member of the Ryan family would have anything to do with her at this point. I know Delia went to Maeve and begged her to let her stay in the house. I can understand Maeve acquiescing to her. What I can't understand is Barry not pressing charges or that anyone else (Jill, Faith, Johnny, and ESPECIALLY BARRY.) would even speak to her. Delia still owns the bar and you can't keep her out of it but she purposefully tried to murder someone. There's simply no coming back from that. But I still love RE as an actress.

• Members

A New York poster at the old SOAPnet forum (this poster is one who put some of the episodes online and her YouTube name is 28fairplay) actually phoned and talked Claire Labine in 2007 after that reboot -- and Claire told her music rights were the problem.

Yeah, that was Ilene Kristen about her 1982 return to the show.

Also before the 2007 rewind, another poster over at the SOAPnet forum had lunch with Peter Haskell (Hollis) and his wife--  she told him she was excited that his episodes would be starting on the channel. He told her he doubted the 1982-1989 shows would ever be seen there because the contracts when he joined the show were the first ones to start having residual clauses.

• Members

You're right, but I'm still sorry we never saw any of 1982 (bar one episode). I know the year wasn't known for being any good, but I hated so much of 1981 that I'm sorry that is my last glimpse of the show outside of some scattered 83-89 episodes I've never fully checked out. 

• Members

1983 was pretty good with the Charlotte G story involving the Ryans/Coolidges and Rae.  Delia was wasted in that year, but I truly think IK was wrong for the part by then especially after how Randall played Delia for 3+ years and the character changing quite a bit.

• Members

I forgot about the Charlotte Greer story.  Thanks for the reminder.

Please register in order to view this content

IMO, Ron Hale had better chemistry with Ilene Kristen.  Then again, I'm always partial to off-beat pairings.