Santa Barbara Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I know Roberta Bizeau was fired. However, Flame was recast. I forget the name of the recast actress. But next to Bizeau, that "Flame" played like Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm and she quickly did a fade. I'm not sure if the second actress was meant to just finish things off or if she was supposed to be permanent, but Flame went from sizzle to fizzle under the recast and that was that.

By the way, based on everything I had ever read about Paul Rauch, he was a complete piece of crap, so I'm inclined to side with Roscoe Born, even if I'm not privy to the details of their conflict.

Edited by Wendy

• Members

There were also the Duvalls/Bassetts in 1985, made up of Mary, Christie, their white trash mother Theda and violent stepbrother Steve. I honestly believe that their story with the Capwells in the summer of 1985 finally made SB click after a very rocky first year on the air. Of course, none of them were on for long in the grand scheme of things, but it was Mary who finally helped turn Mason into a three-dimensional character.

I think the Perkins family should have had more staying power. Dane Witherspoon, Valorie Armstrong, Melissa Brennan (now Reeves) and Kerry Sherman even looked like they could be related. All of them had blond/light brown hair, blue eyes and fair skin. They had a natural family chemistry. Then Dane was fired after his first 13-week contract cycle and recasting Joe with Mark Arnold was just too jarring. The only one who seemed to weather the storm was Kerry Sherman as Amy, who was in a popular romance with Richard Eden's Brick. It was her choice to leave the show (and show business altogether) in 1986 when she became pregnant with her second child. I think Amy was a viable enough character to try to recast instead of kill off, but maybe the writers felt that since she was the only Perkins left, it wasn't worth it. But it left Brick/RE rudderless, even though he was tied to three of the four original families by blood and marriage. I could also go on about how the character of Brick was wasted post-Amy, but I'll save that rant for another day.

• Members

Brick was definitely a wasted character...he should have stayed throughout the duration being part-Lockridge, part-Capwell (sort of)...

It's amazing thinking of all these different families that came and went when the show was only on 8 1/2 years! Sometimes characters, except the Capwells, came and went in a blink of an eye.

• Members

I've read this headline 12 times and I still don't know what it means. 

Is it a performance art piece?  A sculpture of the Capwell Villa?  Miniature dioramas of the whole town? 

Does the Icelandic artist have a US publicist or does Daytime Confidential read Pravda on a daily basis to get soap scoops?