Santa Barbara Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I have said before that, upon round #2 of the Dobsons' return, that they seemed to want to pick up from where they had left off, in 1987. However, like it or not, and I realize they didn't, time and the characters marched on. So trying to shove the characters back into the roles the Dobsons had made for them by and large no longer worked.

And their inexplicable firing of Carrington Garland was a huge mistake, using some dumb excuse that Kelly should be more mature/hardened after all she went through (mostly ironically under Robin Wright, who I believe was actually a year younger than Garland was when that stuff played out). Eileen Davidson is a fine actress, but Kelly she never, ever was. And trying to recreate the Eden/Kelly dynamic with sudden house guest Katrina was a huge fail. (I also recalled an interview where Bridget Dobson hinted that GT's Mason would become enchanted by Katrina, as she would remind him of Mary.)

The Dobsons had to accept that the Mason/Mary fans likely would not want a substitute and the mistake of killing Mary was done. And they also had to know that Mason/Julia fans would have none of it, either.

I have no idea who stepped in or what happened, but that Mason/Katrina deal never happened and thank God. Gordon Thomson looked like Maria Ellingsen's father. Of course, saddling Katrina with rapist Dash Nichols and being his ardent defender to the Capwell family ended up doing her no favors, either.

Edited by Wendy

• Members

I completely agree but reading this I also felt compassion for them - imagine having the biggest creative achievement of your career snatched away from you and being literally locked out of the studio.  It must have been really painful and I can sympathize with their reaction of trying to go back to the way it was rather than start over. 

However, progress is inevitable and their inability to work well with others was their undoing.

Edited by j swift

• Members

The Dobsons were their own worst enemies when they returned. They should have at least been brought up to speed on the stories, but instead, they tried to undo what had happened in their absence. The show was not boring as they could create first rate individual episodes but so much of their stuff was an insult to the fans who had watched while they were gone. Sexual fantasies about your sister's rapist??? I totally get their frustration and anger, but they should have thought of the viewers. They basically gave a middle finger to the viewers who kept the show on the air long enough for them to return. Were they writing the show when Flame and Michael got together? If so, that's the only one of their stories I liked. That story was too brief because of Born's fight with Rauch.

• Members

What in the world was the clash between the Dobsons and Roscoe Borne?!

Was that one of the times when Borne just walked off of a set? How many shows did he do that off of? Jim Thomason off  AMC? SB's Quinn Harding? OLTL? Y&R? DOOL? PSSN? GL? ATWT? City? RH?

Edited by Donna B
more

• Members

It was tough that NBC penalized Robin monetarily over The Princess Bride. She should have been able to be in that show without a money penalty! No one else had a monetary penalty. No matter what it remains one of my favorite shows. I have it on DVD. And, I have Cary Elwes anniversary book, As You Wish.