Primetime Soaps

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

It's funny because he was obviously wrong here - if anything, the shows that don't begin as overly complicated were the ones that survived, even going to the 90s, it was Beverly Hills 90210 and Melrose Place that survived. The shows that bit the dust were the ones that attempted to introduce 32 different plots before we got to know the characters properly.

• Members

I remember watching Berenger’s in first run and I recall liking it, but you’re right. Way to many characters. And the “help” characters weren’t really connected to the family, so that also made it complicated.

The initial setup of Dallas was straightforward - the Ewings and two Barneses. Same for Knots - four couples. Falcon Crest, too - just the Giobertis and the Channings.

Edited by Chris 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I was so intrigued by this photo I joined the site NEVER Knew Carla Borelli was on "Survivors" is that right???

Another question on The Survivors I read Natalie Schafer joined the show near the ending as Baylor Carlyle's Widow but was she like Krystle (New Wife in Town) or Alexis (Bad Wife/Mom back in Town)

• Members

@JosephNatalie Schafer's Eleanor Carlyle was mentally ill. I believe she was released from a mental hospital and arrived on the scene after they killed of Baylor. If I remember reading correctly, Eleanor was Duncan's mother and Tracey's stepmother. 

Somewhere, I have the original proposal for "The Survivors" which was very different. I believe Duncan was originally suppose to be the focus and the storyline for the first year was very action oriented. There were a lot of production problems and I believe several episodes were filmed quite early on that were thrown out. Actually, they ended up being repackaged as a telefilm called "The Last of the Power Seekers" and it aired internationally. 

In regards to Krystle/Alexis angle, one of the only other forgotten 1980s soaps that went that angle, and has been seemingly forgotten, was the late night "Behind the Screen." The patriarch character, Gerry Holmby, headwriter for the soap opera "Generations," had a second wife, his writing partner Dory, and his ambitious first wife, Angela Aries. I wish "Behind the Screen" would pop up the way other 1980s primetime soaps have. 

• Members

I've never seen the show, but David Hofstede's excellent book What Were They Thinking? dedicates a page to it entitled "ABC's Survivors Voted Off the Network".

Please register in order to view this content

The book is a lot of fun, and also acknowledges other infamous moments in primetime soap history like the Fallon switch and (of course) Bobby Ewing in the shower. Here's the cover:

Edited by amybrickwallace