Primetime Soaps

• Members

Dack Rambo acting wasn't anything special when he was on Dallas. He wasn't bad though it was just forgettable. The only time I noticed him was in an episode where he had only a Speedo on.

I was surprised Dallas kept him for the 86-87 season after Duffy returned. He was supposed to be Bobby 2.0.

Edited by Soapsuds

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Well, they cut down his appearances to 15 episodes (out of 29) and pretty much wrote him out. I think it's more that they just didn't want to blatantly drop the character due to the dream retcon. Jamie was also on the show for 12 episodes, despite them killing her off initially in the season 9 cliffhanger.

• Members

What was odd was that Dack Rambo made it into the opening credits for his final half season. My guess is that he wasn’t under contract to return at all, but the producers knew it would be awkward for Jack Ewing to just disappear from the canvas after getting hold of 10% of Ewing Oil. So he agreed to return to finish out his character’s story in exchange for getting better billing.

• Members

This was disappointing to me. Jamie was a great character and I loved how she was introduced. She was like an improved version of the Lucy character. I loved that she was smart and scrappy and knew the oil business and wasn't afraid to go against JR. She also had the best chemistry with Cliff IMO. I hated when she returned post-dream season and they retconed it to make Cliff and Jamie hate each other. She would've been a useful Ewing to have in those later seasons when they struggled to bring new characters on.

• Members

I truly believe that DALLAS' decline in its' later seasons was the result of Larry Hagman exerting entirely too much control over the show.  When you're the face and voice of your show, and the number-one reason why people tune in in the first place, no one's gonna question you or push back on your ideas for its' overall direction, no matter how mediocre those ideas are.

• Members

@BetterForgotten I think Dynasty fell worse and much quicker: #1 in 1984/85, #7 in 1985/86, #24 in 1986/87, and below the Top 30 in 1987/88 and 1988/89. Dallas's decline was a bit more gradual: #1 in 1983/84, #2 in 1984/85, #6 in 1985/86, #11 in 1986/87, #22 in 1987/88, #29 in 1988/89, and below the Top 30 in 1989/90 and 1990/91.

• Members

DYNASTY's decline was worse, because the storytelling - or what remained of it after S3 - deteriorated so quickly.  Not only did the Moldavian Massacre provide no real payoffs, but what DID come afterward was ridiculous even by their own, shallow standards.

• Members

Dallas was the older show but Dynasty decline was worse. 

1985-1986 season

Dallas 21.9 average season ending rating

Dynasty 21.8

1986-1987 season

Dallas 21.3- Dallas was still placing in the top 10 during the season.

Dynasty 17.2- No longer ranked in the top 10 and struggled making the top 20 for the week.

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by Soapsuds