Primetime Soaps

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

You know, I had never seen this show? I watched very little T.V. during most of the 90s. I finally watched a few episodes and this show is a hoot! I'm enjoying it. 

I do have this unsettling feeling, though that someone at ATWT (*coughs* Goutman) may have looked at Scott Bryce's Malibu Road character and decided that this was how they wanted Craig to be about seven, eight years later.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

I've been really impressed with how much ratings info that TVTango contains - as an example they have most of the ratings for Second Chances / Hotel Malibu:

http://www.tvtango.com/series/second_chances/episodes

http://www.tvtango.com/series/hotel_malibu/episodes

It really does seem like it had some momentum and its comeback as Hotel Malibu actually scored the highest rated episode of both series. Of course, it seemed to die off towards the six episode run, but I'm always dubious about when people claim these things.

Models, Inc also seemed to garner some momentum towards the end of its run when it was placed with Melrose Place, but I guess at that point it still lost too much of the mothership's audience; the finale didn't do too badly considering it was placed with a weaker lead-in (Road to Fame... special) and had just been at a low of 5.2  a few weeks earlier: http://www.tvtango.com/series/models_inc/episodes

Edited by te.

• Members

NBC premiered Yellow Rose in  a special Sun @ 10 timeslot following a 2 hr Knight Rider premiere.

Knight Rider was #14 20.3/31

Yellow Rose was # 32 16.1/27 beaten by Trapper John #24 17.7/30

So not a bad sampling.

However the following Saturday NBC was airing baseball, so any momentum was lost as viewers had to wait 2 weeks for the next episode. Crazy!

When the show finally aired Sat @10 the rating was 11.2/21 #54. Fantasy Island was #35 16.2/30

The following week 8.4/15 #66 so pretty much doomed.

Not helped by a lousy lead-in (Rounders)

The show would have stood a better chance Tues @10 where the lineup would be A Team/Remington Steele/Yellow Rose.

But NBC held that slot for the ill fated Bay City Blues. Either Blues or St Elswhere could have played Sat @10 where their low ratings could be offset by critical acclaim and a loyal core audience (at least in the case of Elsewhere)

• 1 month later...
  • Members

They did this in some of my favorite Knots Landing openings, so I can't complain too much, but it does seem very blatant here. Such a generic sequence, period. 

Imagine a world where this was a huge hit and Linda Hamilton was on it for years. 

Beatrice Straight was such a great actress - I kind of wish it had been a hit just to see more of her on a primetime soap.

• Members

I've loved that Jerrold Immel theme since the first time I heard it, but the sequence definitely doesn't match up to what I'd imagined in my head all this time. I always assumed it would be like the other Lorimar soaps, starting with some great scenic shots that set the scene, leading into a big, dramatic appearance of the title card that matches the music (which would have been perfect at the 20-second mark), followed by the good ol' "starring in alphabetical order."

And no cool visual effects, either. Truly a let-down. It's basically a rip-off of Apple's Way.

Edited by All My Shadows