May 15-19, 2006

Toups

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Honestly, the commericals that they show on ATWT and GL don't appeal to me at all, and I'm supposedly part of the key demo. Whenever I buy something, I don't make an effort for it to be a P&G product just to support my soaps...I just buy what I want to buy. I guess once women have families and have to control their budgets they make a better effort at buying products, but no 19-year-old gives a damn whether they use Tylenol or Advil. You know?

I understand the whole advertising thing, but it still doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Don't older women still have to buy products? Obviously, something like a Pampers or Tampax commercial might not appeal to them, but the same medicine, beauty, food products would too. Plus, retirees are on a tighter budget most often and really have to think about what they're spending their money on.

Look at what happened to GL: it focused too much on younger characters, and lost its core audience. It doesn't even do well w/ the 50+ group anymore. :rolleyes: But the thing that pisses me off is that most of the 50+ group don't count towards the HH rating b/c ATWT pulled off a 3.4 in the demo, yet gets a 2.6 in the HH ratings So who's being considered the head of the household, the husband?? :rolleyes: Honestly...

• Members

Exactly. And I think a woman in her 50s or 60s would actually trust the commercials that air during the show she's watched for years. I'm not saying that older women or gullible or anything, but it just feels like someone who's watched certain products advertised during certain shows for over 40 years would most likely become a regular customer for those products over time. I just finished watching an SFT from 1962 on YouTube that has an advert for Downy. You see Downy ads during ATWT and GL all the time these days. My teenage friends aren't buying, that's for sure, but my 40something and 50something aunts are!

• Members

Concerning the Ratings brohaha...

While the networks will occasionally tussle with Nielsen, they have been measuring the ratings for decades and know what they are doing. However, Nielsen has made mistakes in the past. A recent example was two years ago when UPN's Monday comedies inexplicably saw a noticable drop in viewership. It turns out Nielsen had miscalculated some information concerning the African-American population - since the comedies were mostly geared to that community. Once the mistake was corrected, the ratings were largely on par with previous years. However, this example doesn't really apply since most of the debate is centering on rounding, which is information Nielsen doesn't usually make public knowledge.

Some bad/good news for NBC soap fans...

Sci-fi Channel, which is owned by NBC/Universal (the parent company of NBC), has indeed canceled rerun airings of "Passions". The network has dumped those encores effective May 25.

The good news is that NBC has renewed the serial for an 8th season, while retaining James Reilly and Lisa De Cazote as writer and producer, respectively. That will keep "Passions" on the air thru at least July 2007. However, the renewal has come with a price. NBC forced the series to slash its budget (a la CBS's belt tightening at "Guiding Light"). Reportedly dozens of behind-the-scenes workers have been layed off and a cast purge could be forthcoming.

With the renewal of "Passions", the network will likely pick up lead-in "Days of Our Lives" as well.

Source: TV Guide.com

• Members

A budget slash for PASSIONS probably means a budget slash for DAYS too come renewal time...that really concerns me.

PASSIONS(aside from a few lavish sets, like the Crane Mansion) already looks like a cheaply made telenovela. These budget cuts will not be good for the overall look of the show, which is already cheesy. It's bad enough the entire GL cast(except Cassie) lives in the Beacon. You think they will move everyone into either Tabitha's house or the Crane Mansion?

The upside to such a slash in budget means that if cast purging is needed, at least Reilly can focus his energy on contract players that are important or can be important to the show instead of having all these actors on contract and not having a clue what to do with them.

The Sci-Fi network news sucks. Those airings probably weren't doing well for that network. :(

• Members

It is great that AMC is going up in May - this entire year they have been doing well in the ratings and I have to say I've enjoyed 2006 so much - and happy the ratings reflect the good AMC has been delivering.

Next week has been the best week in May on AMC - hopefully the ratings will stay the same or go up to a 2.9 - with the Dixie reveal and Bianca's return - you'd think it will!

Ouch to GH - they go down the week Anna returned? That doesn't make sense - that's too bad :(

Archived