May 15-19, 2006

Toups

• Members

I said it last week, but I'll say it again. I get my numbers DIRECTLY from Nielsen and I'm sure SON does as well. I can't speak for where the magazines get their numbers from, but I know where I get my information from and I would tend to go with the two sources that get the same numbers myself and SON.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wow AMC tied GH in HH.... GH's big sweeps seems to be falling flat. AMC fell in all other categories though and what happend Thursday? AMC got a 3.0 on the Monday, first since the explosion in February. AMC was also the only ABC soap this past week to hit 3.0 in HH. Awesome news for AMC.

• Members

First of all, Nielsen rounds up at 2.44 (for example) and down at 2.46 (for example) occasionally, it's happens like atleast several times a month and as somebody explained well here there's a rhyme and reason to it in the math - the only time the mags (blood sisters) and SON/LsK didn't match with the ratings was for the week of May 1.

Second of all, if you go by the daily averages for the week of May 1, it shows SON and LsK are more than likely delivering the correct numbers for that week, because how do you round 2.58 down (I think that was the ATWT number)? The mags did.

• Members

Ratings are not reported to the hundreth, however, this does not mean that they are not taken in this way. Nielsen takes whatever rating a program gets to the hundreth and factors that into what they determine the overall rating is. So YES it is IS possible for DAYS to get 2.4, 2.4, 2.4 and 2.5, 2.5 to get a 2.5. The 2.4 days could have been (2.44 or 2.43) and the 2.5 days (2.54, 2.53) and if you add all those up you get a number that rounds to a 2.5. This is EXACTLY how nielsen determines their ratings, however, when they release numbers they do not post hundreth's therefore it makes it confusing, but they certainly are not wrong and just because you can "do math" and end up with a different number, does NOT mean you are right, it simply means that you are coming up with a different number as a result of not having all the information.

Also the networks would not be ALL OVER the mags for posting a wrong rating, the networks IMO wouldn't give a rats ass about it. Its not like the network heads are relying on SOD/SOW to find out what the ratings are for their programs, that would be INSANE if they did.

The networks gets their numbers STRAIGHT from Nielsen and ONLY from Nielsen, not from the mags, so I doubt they give a [!@#$%^&*] if the numbers in SOD/SOW are different than what they are recieving straight from Nielsen.

Again, even if a show got a 2.44 for say Monday, Nielsen is going to release a number of 2.4 (2.44) because that is just how ratings are reported. However, this does not mean that they are not factoring in the .04, they are. The only number that Nielsen rounds up or down is the final number after calculating the 5 daily totals.

• Members

Exactly, apparently that other poster doesnt look past the 2.4's and 2.5's even though they claim they can do math, well only basic math at that. Posters like that are irritating to say the least, trying to come on here and not trust Toups, good riddance.

• Members

They're also the most stable demos b/c women 50+ are usually lifelong fans who will watch the show day in and day out. I think that it's time for soaps to start focusing on the older demos w/ the Baby Boom generation starting to retire and being home during the day. Focusing on a key demo such as Women 18-49 doesn't make sense anymore since most women work during the day now.

• Members

Yeah I agree. It's my grandmother who got me hooked on a few of the soaps I watch now. They definitely should focus more on the 50+ demographic, but from what I understand they don't do that because they want people who will go out and buy the stuff that's advertised and whatnot and they feel the younger viewers will go out and spend and the older viewers won't.

Archived