Y&R November 2023 Discussion Thread

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Ha, I didn't notice that about Lauren and Esther...

Please register in order to view this content

Not really surprised their trip wasn't mentioned since Y&R and B&B are different universes according Griffith. 

I thought the flashbacks were ok...I would have hoped for some more 1983/84  clips. I feel we have a majority of what they showed. 

• Members

I don’t often watch this show anymore but I enjoyed this episode, for the most part. I wonder if LLB was pondering her parents legacy as well their physical absences. Emotionally, I think there was more going on there than what was just on the screen or in the script.

The CBS website would be a good opportunity to add some extras because yes, it’s odd that the show couldn’t find a clip of a scene with her mother Jessica to tie into the episode, especially when she was talking about the concept of family and questioning her life choices.

Honestly, from the looks of those clips, it really makes it seem like Paul was the standby after things fell apart with Danny. 

• Members

You know, I have always been a major supporter of VR and her plight, yet DD’s “plight” and woes make little sense to me as a whole. I understood it better during Mai’s tenure, but it’s made zero sense under JG lol especially since it sounds like the show actually tried to invite him back?

I feel like if a 95/96 year old Bell was still alive and active like a Jimmy Carter this would have been a full blown week of a Christine tribute.

it also makes me wonder why the Bells never brought out their shares of Y&R from Columbia/Sony and made Y&R a Bell production only. The last time JG even tried with a B&B crossover was with Deacon and Nikki, everything else had been a flop. 

• Members

I thought about this too when I found out Bill and Maria were rich enough to buy Jay-Z and Beyonce's house! If only. Not that B&B is so great, but they clearly care more about the legacy of the show.

I feel like in recent years they've gone too far from Bell's vision of Christine as perfect and made her seem overly bitter. They act like she's so awful to hold a "grudge" against Phyllis for trying to murder her!

• Members

Well that is the story they want to tell in light of DD's absence and the availabilty of Michael Damian.

I do wonder, moving forward how this will play out.

Will we have a month or so of Chris/Danny/Phyllis getting some reasonable airtime with things wrapped up and MD and LLB heading off together and LLB back to occasional appearances as a lawyer? Seems most likely scenario.

• Members

Ya I remember that Thudley had even offered to be the show’s HW when JFP was looking to replace Altman and Passanante but was turned down in favor of Pratt. 

And to be fair, LLB is also a contributing factor on how Christine acts. I think LLB was so sick saccharine Cricket which is why she turned many offers to return to Y&R for a few years….she wanted Christine to evolve to a more antagonistic role. Which is why she accepted the 2010 return in where Christine betrayed Nina over the Chance/Ronan stuff as well as been an arch nemesis to both Phyllis and Nikki. It’s also notable as LLB has a had a boat load of kids in real life while Christine is childless. 

@YRfan23 This episode’s bumpers did remind me of my two favorite mid-90’s Y&R openings though!

Also glad today’s flashbacks of Michael and Christine involved the Desmond story lol from 2000. That’s when it was revealed the Chancellor maid Shirley (famously played by Beverly Archer) was actually married to the Desmond Industries CEO. I recall reading a full Desmond family was planned but the it just got postponed and dropped as 2000 went on. 

• Members

I too wish they would've mentioned Jessica and how her death impacted Cricket, not to mention her brother and the fact that Lauren was there and no mention of Scott. But then she was like, "You've been like an "aunt" to Fen, and I was like, she's the actual aunt of your eldest son, Lauren.

Not to mention how her rape inspired her to become a lawyer and how she worked for legal aid, but of course this is a set-up of Cricket, Danny, and Phyllis 30 years later, which hardly anyone wants to see.

I said on Twitter that Doug is going to get his 50 cents of residual soon enough.