GH: Jackie Zeman passed away

• Members

Just doesn’t feel real to me. It’s been a long time since a soap performer’s death hit me like this, perhaps because, as people have said, Bobbie still felt like such a vital presence on the show, and there was no indication that JZ had been suffering. Maybe Benjamin Hendrickson was the last time I was this floored by an actor’s passing. 

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

When I was a kid, I used to watch "National Lampoon's Class Reunion" all the time on HBO, which my old apartment complex carried for free.  "Class Reunion" was a dreadful movie, but it was saved by a number of performances, including Jackie Zeman's.

• Members

Jackie’s death seems different as we didn’t know she was ill and it happened quickly. Also unlike many we’ve lost who were in the genre for decades the show she’s best known for still is in production. It hasn’t been years since we’ve seen her on camera, but under 30 days. Still sad and processing feel for her daughters losing their mother right before Mother’s Day.

• Members

Agreed. Alan, Monica, Rick, Leslie, and Jeff and Heather deserve their flowers for also elevating the show during that period.

Having began watching in the 2000s I didn't even realize Bobbie was on as late as 2010. I knew she was big in the 90s but by the 00's you'd never know Bobbie more than a Sonny & Carly talk to. What a shame she never really lead stories after 1998/99.

Edited by ironlion

• Members

And soaps back in their glory days had a way of making these 'working mothers' rather glamorous (there was never not a time when Bobbie wasn't tossing her auburn hair or snapping off a clip-on earring to answer the phone) in that they dared to dream for bigger, better things, and work towards them. They weren't prepared to settle. It was relatable aspiration.

What was so cool about Bobbie is the way she maintained that bridge between the show's name and the hospital/nurse's station. In that sense, she grounded the show like no other. And Jackie Zeman's natural loveliness really came through the screen, endearing the audience towards her. We sensed the warmth and the way other actors engaged with her.

I remember watching summer 1988, and basically the show was split between Duke & Anna dismantling bombs here, there and everywhere, and drama between Bobbie & Jake in Port Charles. As someone mentioned, the spy stuff got the bulk of the headlines, but GH knew that it needed to mix it up with the Qs, the Lucy Coes and the Bobbies in order to maintain balance.

“For 40 years, I was fortunate enough to play Jackie Zeman’s big brother on General Hospital. In all those years, I never heard her utter one disparaging word about any actor, crew member, or co-worker. In fact, I never heard Jackie express an unkind word about anyone, ever. In a highly competitive profession where ego, feelings, and emotions are bread and butter, I’ve found this quality to be extremely rare. I expect it will be even more rare now that dear Jackie is gone.

“She was quite simply one of the kindest, sweetest people I have ever known. I will miss her laugh, and the deep, soulful look in her eyes whenever she expressed the love and pride she had in her two lovely daughters. Tonight, l already miss her, and feel a powerful ache where Jackie’s smile used to be.”

Lovely words from Tony Geary, without a hint of snark or rancour. Jackie sounds like she was completely beloved by cast and crew. What a loss for them.

Edited by Cat