GH: Jackie Zeman passed away

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I'm certainly no Michael or Willow fan but it's sweet that her last episode was that of her grandson's wedding.

It's funny how that's happened a few times in daytime, where a veteran cast member's final episode feels like kismet. John Ingle's Edward putting Emma before himself and having those wonderful final moments with Tracy (this was planned knowing JI would pass but still felt destined) and Jeanne Cooper's final scene with Jess Walton couldn't be more perfect, a 2 minute scene that encapsulated the complexities of Katherine and Jill's relationship, it was the finest thing Y&R has done in at least 15 years. This doesn't compare to those examples of course (though the moment with the Spencer women welcoming Willow to the family was nice in spirit if not great in execution) but it's nice nonetheless.

• Members

I don't think it really counts since she died after the show went off the air, but Patricia Elliott's last scenes as Renee on OLTL near the end were lovely. She was at Asa's grave reminiscing with Bo.  You could tell they put them in there just for her because she might not appear again, and I think she already had cancer at this point.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Here's one good example: Douglass Watson's final scene as Mac Cory on ANOTHER WORLD.  In it, Mac's with Rachel, remarking that the past twenty-five years have been among the happiest, as they look ahead to the upcoming anniversary for Cory Publishing.  Sadly, both actor and character will be gone by the time of the actual ceremony.  But, strangely fitting: Watson happened to pass away JUST as Mac had learned that his own daughter, Iris, had been "the Chief" behind the hostile takeover that nearly destroyed him and the company he spent so many years building.  Of course, it wasn't planned for Mac to die before forgiving Iris for her misdeeds; he was supposed to go away to Maine to think things over, then return.  But the fact that he died without reconciling with his daughter forever haunted Iris, who spent the rest of her years in Bay City seeking forgiveness that would never come.

Edited by Khan

• Members

Another great clip I dug up while going back through Bobbie's classic stories: The climax of the D.L. Brock saga with David Groh (warning: Brock roughs up Bobbie). Rhoda Morganstern dumped him and he's real mad.

The one good thing from moments like these is you get to take a tour back through a soap star's past and discover or re-discover so much history. Jackie in particular was a constant through so many very different and unique eras of GH, everywhere you look is a new tapestry. 1984-85 is no different.

• Members

What was Sam Behren’s (Jake) exit storyline? Did he and Bobbie end on good terms?

The final JZ scenes being the Nurses’ Ball and Michael’s wedding are a good conclusion for the character. Especially a character marginalised for a decade with bad writing and being forgotten on the canvas. If you asked me in 2010 would Bobbie ever witness Michael get married, I would have said “no.”

I remember when she came back just ahead of the 50th anniversary for the Nurses’ Ball, it was amazing how quickly Bobbie fit right back into the canvas. There was a moment where it seemed like all the veteran cameos were happening so quickly and so piled on (Felicia, Frisco, Scott, Laura, Bobbie, Nikolas, Lucy, Kevin) and everything was going to be handled superficially. But, Bobbie came back in a bang, literally! I think Nikolas was shot, and Bobbie went into nurse mode. I still can’t believe how 10 years later so many of those vets who came back are still on canvas and in many cases more vital than ever. 

I hope they find a way to work JZ’s kids back in a cameo. I would hate to spoil, the holidays but it would be so fitting for Bobbie’s passing to first be acknowledged at the Christmas Carol reading. Bobbie, and the Jones cousins, were such a big part of that tradition. Perhaps JZ’s kids can be the elves this year, and Ned can dedicate the reading of the Carol to the nurse who was always there for this annual tradition. 

Another way I could see this storyline coming full circle for Bobbie is if there is an accident and someone needs a heart transplant. Like BJ, Bobbie is rendered brain dead and her heart is given to someone so they can survive. Imagine the parallels or emotions and reactions. It can be a younger character, so Bobbie’s legacy lives on.

I hope FV has the smarts to wait post writer strike to do this tribute. I am willing to wait to make sure the storyline is handled correctly. 

• Members

These were the dying days of the big budgets, and Gloria put every dollar onscreen here. I'm impressed at the way they managed to make a soap location feel cavernous and suffocating all at once the way the auditorium does. The disorientation and mania of the way that Brock and Bobbie fighting and Terri racing to get help draws you in in a way attempts at these types of stories in later years rarely did. I knew that Monty excelled at this type of presentation in the GH of the late '70s, but hadn't expected to see it in 1985. And Ginny packing heat contrasted with the chilling and oh-so-'80s jumbo screen concerned conservative mom speechifying. 

The random cut to Frisco serenading Felicia (probably the type of material many associate this era with) makes it even more unnerving.