GENERAL HOSPITAL February 2023 Discussion Thread

• Members

Amusingly, we've now thought about the People Magazine cover for three hours longer than the editors.  One imagines the images were selected due to the availability of the photos and a desire to demonstrate a variety of eras.  It was not a popularity contest.

Edited by j swift

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I don't imagine it would be hard to find available photos of anyone on GH past or present unless we are going back to the 60s or early 70s so I don't think People just looked at around for a bunch of stock photos they had on hand lol and went from there.  I think there was a rhyme and reason and a bit of a gauge of popularity.  I don't think People would just randomly dig up a photo of Trina/Spencer (a non-couple) without a bit of research.  Anyhow, we have talked about a lot of other sillier things for much longer as well. 

• Members

Not to prolong this further, but just to clarify my intent, I meant what photos were available for license.  People, SOD, or any for-profit publication would need to clear the photos through production in order to publish them, they can't use whatever stock photos are available on the internet.

• Members

Okay?  But I don't see how that would be much harder. I don't think production is making anything unavailable for People.  Anyway, it doesn't matter.  I just don't think a 15 dollar magazine was slapped together without thought or at least a mild barometer of popularity of it's subject.  

Feel free to move on from the subject....

• Members

We are literally judging a book by its cover, which aphorisms have told us for years to avoid

Getting back to this month's GH - does anyone have a guess as to how long before they'll SORAS Donna?  She's sort of an albatross because neither Carly nor Sonny need a little kid in their story, and they are already bound by history.  It's not like the actor was pregnant so they needed to write a baby into the show.  So, I wonder what is the plan for that kid?  Her existence is so redundant to other characters that we if don't get a Donna/Charlotte teen-aged rivalry soon I will continue to forget that she lives in Port Charles.

Edited by j swift

• Members

What are you even talking about? I've never seen someone so consistently loud and wrong on this board. It was absolutely a popularity contest. It's got a giant photo of Luke and Laura in their wedding attire from 40 years ago, Rebecca Herbst who has a loud and ardent fanbase that has saved her job at least twice, Sonny and Brenda a hugely popular pairing (and the last time show lead Sonny was interesting) and Spencer and Trina's fanbase is the first one I've seen in YEARS this enthused about a pairing, they hired a frickin' plane to fly over GH's studio.

If you don't think ABC opened up their entire photo repository to People for this tribute issue you have no clue how any of this works and should just stop.

• Members

I was just going to say this! In the YouTube postings of Lucky confronting Laura about marrying her rapist, many commenters said the same thing, smug. 

I would also say Laura's relationship with Spencer kind of reminds me of her and Lucky back in the day. 

Watching modern GH in clips on YT is far more interesting than sitting through a whole episode live. I guess because I can skip through the crap.

From the magazine shots: Alan and Monica are really underrated as a couple and are often just lumped together witht the Qs as a whole. I would dare to say they are one of the best and most toxicly entertaining couples in soap history. They have the longevity of Tom & Margo on ATWT

Edited by ironlion

• Members

Please be serious. This is giving flashbacks to your month-long "Steve Burton is not fired, you gullible ignorant sheeple" campaign, and we know how that turned out.

j, you have often made decent contributions to this board and at times I enjoy conversing with you. You are also often arrogant and/or loudly wrong on basic key facts in public. This is the fundamental difference between us: I am often arrogant, loud and an [!@#$%^&*], but when I am clearly wrong on facts or have no basis I rarely do that in public and if so will retract my statement.

I'm not going to call you an [!@#$%^&*] but I am going to call you wrong, again. I understand you think you are smarter than most people here, but as someone who has worked in marketing I can tell you now there is absolutely no way People just picked from a random grab-bag of images. They made choices, just like any print publication has made specific choices for their covers for the past century or more. You may not like how posters on this board react to those choices, you may find their behavior declasse or stupid. But unfortunately that has nothing to do with how the images were chosen, and it's not anyone's problem but yours. Let it go.

Edited by Vee