Y&R January 2022 Discussion Thread

• Members

Chuckling!

Really we're being too cruel to Josh Griffith.

Some of the upcoming stuff looks good:

At Society,Nate notices Elena is stressed.She admits that working so hard at the hospital means she has missed her Ask MD deadline and Lily is going to be annoyed. Nate says Lily will understand.

Meanwhile at Chance.Com ,Lily is annoyed about the missed deadline. Billy reminds Lily that Elena is working so hard at the hospital. Lily realizes she has been a bit harsh and thanks Billy for helping her see things more clearly. They kiss and he suggests a little office nookie. Lily wonders what was taking him so long to suggest it...

Elena tells Nate she took on a responsibility. Ask MD is the nations #1 online medical advice website and lives are at stake. Nate tells an intrigued Elena  he might have a solution...

A bare chested Billy rises from the floor just as Traci arrives. She's embarrassed but Billy and Lily say its OK-they just have a very healthy sex life. Traci remembers what that was like and is glad they're finding a work/sex balance.

Billy departs and Traci tells Lily she's here to follow up about working at Chance.Com. Traci explains she has been working all hours on her book about Dina, but now it's done she can devote time to Chance.Com.

Lily says she read the book and it is the best book she's ever read. No wonder it's the #1 book in the country!

Nate arrives and tells Lily he will take over at Ask MD. His workload as Chief of Surgery has eased off. That way Elena can concentrate on saving lives.

Lily is thrilled!

Edited by Paul Raven

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

The NYC CBS station cut in for a press conference about yesterday’s Bronx apartment fire tragedy. Did they address Michael’s treacherous early days as a sadistic, violent predator in Genoa City? I guess that’s not something you reminisce about over champagne with family at Society…

• Members

Is there really anyone beating down the doors these days wanting to be a headwriter on daytime? I have a feeling that part of why we're stuck with some of the writers we have is because no one else wants to do it. There are too many people's hands in the mix to be able to write. Daytime needs to lessen the reigns and give an experience writer (whether primetime writers or even suspense/romance novelists) a chance. It's just going to get worse if they don't, so why not take a chance?

• Members

There are different sides to this though.

As interesting as a circuit-breaker with a Harding Lemay-type who is coming from a completely different area of writing, the remaining core of fans would react very negatively to anyone who doesn't share the love of the genre that we do.
And chances are: they wouldn't and the potential downside of that are as dramatic as the potential upside.

What I am more interested in is that these writing teams feature a lot of writers. Why are so few being promoted and the headwriters tend to be people who have been headwriters before. I realize there might be additional skills needed but shows need to farm potential future HW better indeed.

And rewarding mediocrity with job security certainly isn't helping on any of those fronts.

• Members

I knew you'd say that lol

I know you feel that way and I am very depressed by the state of Y&R in particular too but I honestly would be heartbroken to lose the remaining soaps, even mediocre as they often are these days.

As cringe as OLTL for instance often got in its last years, do you really think we are better off with it being gone altogether? 
I still see what they could be and I don't want to give up. But maybe I am clinging to false hopes and it won't ever get better.

I honestly understand why you feel the way you do but I am coming from a place that when a show is gone, it is gone forever.

• Members

I'm not depressed, I'm over it. I think this genre needs to survive and thrive and be revitalized, but it is not going to do it in this condition, marking time and space on network TV alone, catering largely to a shrinking red audience. Y&R is a shell of itself.

OLTL didn't go out perfect but it went out strong and vital and full of energy, and it (along with AMC) was revived within a year in a way that made it modular and fresh for a new paradigm. I can promise you I would not be watching it today if it were like Y&R; I turned it off many times. The fact that the revivals didn't survive because of poor management doesn't change the fact that those shows were the wave of the future. But daytime soaps as they are now don't want a future. They want to mark time. Until that changes, I'm not interested. And saying these shows shouldn't shake things up because it might offend more old women in Florida or wherever and lose a few more eyes isn't offering a solution, it's just asking for more of the same.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I 100% agree with that.

And I am on the side of them needing a circuit breaker too so I think we agree.
I guess I am more a scaredy-cat than you are but your point does make sense that treading waters like they are now will lead to their death the same way a ill-conceived reboot by a writer who doesn't like soaps might.

Fair case.

• Members

An almost drama-free birthday party (aside from Noah’s side eye at Mariah/Tessa’s proposed adoption) after a drama-free Michael tribute episode seems ill-advised. 

What a mess they’ve made with this baby. I almost wish they could retcon it away, it’s been so disastrous.