Days of Our Lives: September 2021 Discussion Thread

• Replies 559
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Ben is worse than Sonny.  Because they did sorta acknowledge Sonny's actions for awhile in the 90's and it obviously wasn't as bad as Ben.  And I definitely don't think RSW and VK have the chemistry MB and VM did.  They certainly white washed Sonny in the 2000's, but I think they were okay at showing Sonny's faults in the 90's.  I guess the best way for me to explain it for myself is that I never considered Sonny the good guy, but still adored him with Brenda and rooted for him.  But Ben is made out to be the good guy all the time and we aren't even allowed to make our own decisions because the writers make us think we have to love him.

Yeah, Steve was a little more than gray.  He was def a creeper in the beginning, but again did not kill people and I think the 80's had anti-heroes that did things that would not be accepted today.

• Members

I've liked Rob Wilson since AMC 2.0 but Ben is a literal serial killer. There's no getting around that or shrugging it off, any more than we can casually shrug off soap rapists in 2021. That's done too. But Ben killed multiple people. They have had a million chances to blame Ben's killings on literally anyone else, and this is a show where Marlena was brainwashed to think she'd murdered half the town. But they don't do it because Ron Carlivati is arrogant and believes the audience will accept anything just like he tried to force them to accept Franco the rapist serial killer on GH, just like he tried to force them to accept a rapist bedding his amnesiac victim on OLTL. They could redeem and retcon Ben at any moment but they don't, and until they do no one is going to forget.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I don't see any issue with the acting from the guy who plays Ben. If anything, I'd say he's one of the better actors these days. The current acting in general is atrocious though. The senior cast all seem to be phoning it in. It seems like they just can't be bothered these days. From recent episodes, people like Chloe and Nicole seem to be carrying it in the acting stakes. A lot of them are talking like robots. I was surprised to see the guy who plays Xander has improved as well.

Edited by Skylover

• Members

I just watched today's episode and ugh. Making out and being naked in bed is not a story. Why are these two still on the show?! I FF'd right through them as usual. I'm sure I missed Ciara telling Ben how great he is.

Some of today was kind of filler but it was still better than anything we got the last two episodes. I love Johnny and Chanel so I'm happy to watch them hanging out, and Chanel looked fabulous as usual. The Paulina/Abe/Steve/Kayla stuff was filler but I like all of them so it was fine. I laughed at Paulina telling Steve that he's sexy. Seeing Abe and Kayla in a scene together reminded me that at one point they were actually teasing the two of them together.

Please register in order to view this content

The MarDevil stuff had me laughing, and Bill Hayes is doing such a great job even though Doug is just lying in a hospital bed.

• Members

Chanel has been such a great addition to the show, especially this recast. She has chemistry with everyone. I was all about her and Allie, but now I'm wanting her to be with Johnny for awhile instead. She can get with Allie later on down the road

Please register in order to view this content

She's totally stunning and it makes sense for the twins to be fighting over her, ha. I'm also loving the addition of Carson Boatman to the cast, he's really good and has chemistry with everyone too.

• Members

There's an old, extremely apocryphal anecdote where RC allegedly told one of the Black performers at OLTL he didn't know how to write for Black people. I doubted that story was true, but he never gave them much at either ABC show. I have to believe the current initiative with the Black cast is in part due to his infatuation with Jackee as '80s TV royalty.

• Members

You'd think they could at least complicate Ben's story, giving him obstacles related to his illness. They could have his pills suddenly poop out, y'know? Give him new ones that still don't work as he slowly (or not) turns dangerous while everyone is desperate to settle his urge to kill.

• Members

As much as I disagree to the objections around Ben as a romantic hero (because soaps are based on the idea of people being reformed by love), I think the idea that they are already trying to spawn is ridiculous.  Ciara has been recovering from a brain injury for months, and before that Ben was recovering from being kidnapped and shot. 

Maybe they should wait a week or two to establish careers and live as newlyweds before they bring a baby into the picture?  I mean has Ciara ever held a full time position or finished her education?  And while I buy the reformation of Ben, formerly incarcerated people are unemployed at a rate of 27 percent (3x's more than the rest of the population) , according to research by the Prison Policy Institute, so why not play that as a more realistic source of conflict for the couple?

Edited by j swift