B&B: Bold from the beginning

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

And guess what? They have begun to run ads (at least, when you stream on the YouTube app), just as I suspected.

The episodes are actually about 21 minutes in length, on average.

Some people are complaining about the screen aspect ratio but I don't see the B&B uploaders doing much to change that, at least, not with just a few thousand views per episode.

But, as quiet as it's kept, even those few ads per episode, for an episode that is just a little over 20 minutes is $$$ for B&B's revenue stream. Modest amounts add up, when you consider it. It's basically almost entirely an income stream that's "passive".

B&B is in the position to do this more easily than most, due to their length, of course, but also the fact that they don't tend to use much popular music, like many other soaps did during the same period of time. Other soaps though, do have some years, some episodes where not much popular music was used, so this is achievable with many soaps, tbh, not just B&B.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I've been watching episodes on YT as they've been posted.  It is a little difficult to keep track because there seems to be no order or schedule for how they are released.  For awhile it seemed as if they were only uploading the episodes where Owen modeled shirtless in Nick's office.

One thing that is remarkable about the first year is that Ridge and Thorne are totally carefree.  They're constantly in tennis gear or speedos and they experience no conflicts.  All over LA, the Logans, Spencers, Eric and Stephanie are all concerned about something, but those boys are just smiling the days away.

It is amazing that they became the central figures for so many years, because they have no other problems than trying to remain faithful to some of the prettiest women in town.  I wonder if some of the animus that Brad Bell gets online is because people project that his life was as easy as Ridge?

Edited by j swift

• Members

The one thing I've noticed about these early episodes is that there is more depth in the scenes, more balance in airtime, and a good haves and have nots balance.

The Logans may lack wealth and glamour, but they seem close knit and warm toward one another.

The Forrester's may have wealth and glamour, but there is tension and competition in the family.

Both families are wealthy in different ways.

The Spectras also were a have not family later on, but it was in terms of respect..not money.  And it was a close knit crew with Sally, Saul, Darla and Macy.  Only thing I felt was missing was I think Sally should have also had a son (besides CJ) in the early episodes..and been competitive with Macy..and also given Ridge a run for his money with Brooke, etc.

• Members

B&B From the beginning seems to have well over a hundred episodes on their YouTube page.

The fact that their episodes uploaded to YouTube has higher quality ads than what they're likely to have on network television really sends me!

Please register in order to view this content

ASOS fashion, AppleTV+, Hulu, HBO Max, the entire trailer for the new Batman movie for Warner Brothers. 

CBS could never!

• Members

I would  give everything to watch Y&R from the beginning.. Not just because of the Brooks/Foster stuff.

I would really love to see my girl Brenda Dickson as Jill in that Katherine/Philip storyline from 1974/75.

And i would give everything to see David Hasselhoff as Snapper and Casey.

I always wondered if the Logans from BB were quiet inspired by the Fosters from Y&R.. Brooke always came off like Jill in those early episodes of BB

• Members

I know that when BB tried to make Brooke into B&B's Valley version of Reva Shayne (even having a sort of 'baptizing' of Brooke as the "Slut From The Valley" similar to Reva's literally baptism as the "Slut Of Springfield"), the show truly began to get further away from its origins.

The character that  once had some complexity morphed closer to caricature, imo.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Just seeing Brooke in these early episodes, you saw a hard working college student.  She loved her mom, brother and sisters...and helped out while dating a nice guy.

I always viewed Theresa on Passions to be like Brooke without the more complex writing of the early years 

• Members

I don't know about quietly inspired, more like direct copy.

I guess Bill Bell wanted to go with what had worked on early Y&R and maybe the chance to tell the story a little differently.

Beth Logan was more glamorous than Liz Foster - more suited to LA , as a love interest to Eric and probably because the network wanted younger sexier 'old people'

What do posters think of Judith Baldwin as Beth? How long did she last? Nancy Burnett was much less glamorous and the Eric/Beth story took aback seat. Were they originally hinted as getting back together?

The rest of the Logans were a mish mash of other Y&R families.

Storm was basically Snapper Foster.

Katie was Traci Abbott.

Brooke was Jill Foster with a touch of Chris Brooks.

And Donna?