Y&R August 2020 Discussion Thread

• Members

I think the comment about ATWT and GL serving us better soap than today’s shows as they were cancelled is appropriate.  You add AMC and OLTL to that, and all four were better written and produced than the four on the air now.  Yes, we had complaints because back then that was as bad as it gets.  Well now we know, it can get worse, it has gotten worse, and I can’t blame anyone for tuning out when the shows aren’t doing anything but basic keep the lights on material.

If you are enjoying the show, good for you. I loved these soaps.  Not just a couple, or a character or actor, but the genre of daytime soap operas.  They are all but dead now.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I saw that episode too, and I thought the Kevin/Esther scenes were really good, as were the Jack/Victor scenes. The problem I'm still seeing with the show is that there's no forward narrative momentum--almost nothing in a given episode makes me excitedly think, "I wonder what will happen next!" From the two episodes I've seen this week, the only scenes that got me remotely curious to watch more were the ones where Phyllis and Amanda pull some dinosaur fossils out of a cardboard box--and in that case, I only wanted to see more because the storyline seemed so bonkers. But I guess bonkers is better than boring!

• Members

Watched today’s episode and wasn’t offended at all although the Kansas/Cliff retcon is still dumb. At least Sharon Case and Mark Grossman can hold their own weight, otherwise yeah the show definitely needs momentum and a hook. It reminds me of the Passanate/Altman days when there wasn’t much going on at all. 

Jill’s text to Jack was cute. Too bad we don’t have Jill. 

I miss the classics, I better check out what’s new in that Vault

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Chelsea, Esther, and Phyllis came off as so hyper. The energy is weird, like the actors are trying to fill the cold empty soundstage and it's coming off try hard. 

I do like the fact they're cutting away right before kisses and love scenes instead of using mannequins!

• Members

Scott also revealed in the book that by the time her memoir was published, she would have already quietly had her first plastic surgery procedure, never having tried even Botox or fillers before.

Okay Melody, let's ignore that nose.

• Members

Is it bad I wish MTS had become Marcia Brady, after learning she lost the role to McCormack?? Maybe it’s for the best as none of the actors have ever escaped the eternal type cast stigma of being a Brady.

Edited by YRfan23