Soaps Returning To Production

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

When they fired Drake and then Diedre, I knew they were in serious trouble.  The quality of the production didn’t dramatically change for me until a bit later than that.

I felt the big change was when Tomlin introduced their current production model of filming many shows a day, which led to them being so far ahead of air date.

Ed Scott’s moodily lighting was one of the first things to go, everything became really bright, the actors styling (clothes, hair and makeup), was not as good, and the sets became really basic and repetitive.

When the Horton Square first arrived I thought it was more impressive than it is now.  When I was regularly watching in the last couple of years I felt the whole set was just that one bench.

• Members

They were the first to do a downtown set which looked good at first but then quickly got misused, like holding Ross’ funeral there. Not to mention it was always poorly lighted and feel unrealistic. I’d GL’s downhill moment production wise of that era was them using a hideously ugly green colored set for Cedars Hospital. 

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

I was watching episodes from 2003 on Youtube around the time I first started watching GL, and I was shocked how many sets, extras and production value the show still had - it puts the soaps today to shame and we know even then GL's budget probably lagged behind all others with the exception of Passions (possibly). I had forgotten that there was still some budget then as the last few years were so poor. The 2005 budget cuts really did change the feel of GL but it was still ok and then the cheap handheld cameras really made it hard to watch for me. Unfortunately, I was at a time where I wasn't watching consistently and the look was just very HS TV production and pushed me away. I know eventually things got better but I had fallen out of the habit and GL ended soon after. 

Yes, the green hospital I remember that well. It was definitely strange, because I recall that the hospital looked different for the Michelle amnesia storyline in 2005 and then when Reva was in the hospital in 2006, it was green and with some wood panels and just didn't look good. 

The downtown set was cute, but as you mentioned not well utilized. 

Main Street the Horton Town Square ( Days ) of it's day.  It was so overused. This was the era right before Peapack. Where everyone lived at the Beacon. Besides Main Street, Company and Jonathan's bar were also overused. I came to hate the letterboxing format. And the dark lighting.

Edited by victoria foxton

• Members

Company didn't bother me as much as it was always kind of the Town Pub of GL and its location across from the hospital made it seem like it would be the place that characters would easily stop by for a coffee or a beer..I just hated the coffee bar on Main Street where people would serve themselves and not pay. They should have just sad the Beacon was condos and have a lot of people living there bumping into each other in the lobby, which also had a bar I think? All they needed was to have a basic set that looked like a condo living room and switch walls around and decor and it would have been much better then people living in a hotel room with just a bed, like oddly Rick and Beth when they are married for 5 minutes, living there , and next time back in the Bauer kitchen.

• Members

That could have been good about the Beacon. I think at some point they stopped using that expansive lobby set in 2006 or so with the Springfield Burns storyline.

I can’t remember if it was in 07 or in 08 but someone had a wedding and they filmed it in a really shoddy makeshift chapel with like two pews and some fold up chairs it was hilariously bad, I can’t even remember for sure who’s wedding it was. 

Yep that’s how it starts! On GL they had the Beacon, ATWT had the Lakeview(which was mix of hotel rooms and residential apartments but still...) and of course Y&R has had the GCAC and now the Grand Phoenix. 

• Members

Both Thudley and Denise Richards gave interviews today, I wasn’t sure where to put  them except here:

https://www.tvinsider.com/940618/bold-and-the-beautiful-daytime-emmy-production-rules/amp/

Denise’s interview: 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.clickorlando.com/entertainment/2020/07/06/denise-richards-details-return-to-set-on-bold-amid-virus/%3FoutputType%3Damp

Rumor has it 

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by soapfan770