Maybe if we post our favorite Soap Opening Credits

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Say what you will about Paul Rauch, but he understood the importance of opening sequences and theme songs.

"True Light," on the other hand, looked and sounded like a cheap talk show from the mid-'90's.  It only underscored how out-of-touch John Conboy was with GL and with soaps in general.

• Members

ATWT's corn field opener music had a powerful dramatic emotional effect to it which I enjoyed. The visuals however were bad. Come to think of it, ATWT changed their theme and intros very rapidly in the later years. The 'toilet flush opener" (which I like) was probably the last of ATWT's openers to have decent visuals. 

I wish DAYS would have released new versions of thir hourglass opener over the years, keeping the Mac Donald Carey voice over of course. Their 2004 extended theme was perhaps the best they've ever used. 

Discovered this 70s (re-created) theme for the Secret Storm. It's very soothing and relaxing. It really captures the essence of how soaps were back then. The crashing waves just adds to that effect. I like how certain soaps had their trademark icon. DAYS was the hourglass, AMC's was the photo album, ATWT's was the globe and based on seeing other openers crashing waves it for TSS. 

Edited by ironlion

• Members

Two nice themes from other lesser known P&G shows:

The final Somerset theme (1973-76)

and the theme to The Catlins, a P&G soap that aired on TBS from 1983-85.  This theme is similar to the AW and Texas themes from the early 80s.  Wonder if The Catlins theme was considered for use on AW and Texas, but P&G decided to go with the themes that made it to air on both shows?

• Members

In a way, I'm glad Ken Corday has kept the updates to DAYS' opening sequence to a minimum.  Another producer would have ditched the iconic hourglass and theme song ages ago, leaving us with some tacky, generic mess.  (Yes, JFP, I'm looking at you.)

Edited by Khan

• Members

I love that.  For my grandma it was her ABC block (OLTL, GH, and Edge, she never got into AMC).  I could watch.  I could ask questions during the commercials.  But not when the show was on!  I was very little, but I remember how upset she was when they cancelled Edge.  Love the last shot of Raven.

I am a big fan of retaining something from the classic opening when you revamp.  Y&R going from drawings to animated in color to live action then the red open still maintained the show’s identity.  Same with GH’s Faces of the Heart with the ambulance, hospital, opening notes and Steve and Audrey as the first cast images. Same with GL’s Hold on to Love with the opening notes and the return of the lighthouse.

One nobody has mentioned yet but I always loved the just over the top-ness of it was the original B&B opening.  The music and fashion images were very entertaining, and I didn’t even watch that soap.  I especially loved Susan Flannery’s shots!