Maybe if we post our favorite Soap Opening Credits

• Members

Fair point. David Foster’s rendition of Jelinda’s Theme is a lot more livelier, I wonder why they didn’t use his. Music rights?

Always loved the music for “My Guiding Lignt” even some of the shots could be cheesy, but not as bad as that 1981-83 disco version lol.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Same!  It just sweeps you up emotionally and carries you into a blissful, wonderful place.  I hate they didn't make that change permanent.

And am I crazy, or did GL not have a "Caribbean-flavored" version of "Hold on to Love" during the Michael Laibson era?

Edited by Khan

• Members

Except for the last notes, I really do not like that version at all!  I have also never heard it, or if I did I do not remember it.

I like the mid 1980’s ATWT theme, but I do agree the visuals of the 90’s one were at least interesting and themed well.

I was a big fan of Frons making them go back to the early 1990’s AMC theme.  At least this one was still a book compared to the next photo shoot version.

I do have such fondness for that theme.  Even if I think the closing photo of Erica is awful.  I hated it back then too!

• Members

AW had great themes all the way through its run. The two 70s themes were gorgeous. Jonathan Sagal’s 81-87 theme updated the show’s sound without going too far away from the previous themes. The Crystal Gayle theme lasted tooooo long into that 90s, and I would give my life for Crystal Gayle. The final theme wasn’t great in its shortened opening version but the full closing theme is lovely. Goes up there with Dave Koz’s full Faces of the Heart.

• Members

Even though I never saw it in action, I loved the circles AW theme, which I saw for the first time on WOST.

Edge of Night’s early 1980’s themes with the dramatic closeup endings were always great.

Of all the soaps- update that theme and modernize the best mysteries and just bring Edge back as a 12 episode a season show.  It has so much modern potential, the the title is just epic enough, but still timeless.

• Members

Folks,

My selection may/will be slightly different to what has been posted so far, but based on what was available to me when growing up.

This was the show’s first attempt at revamping the title design and theme tune. General views were always mixed. See if you can spot a young/teenage Jessie Spencer in this.

Very punchy, rock version of the titles and the first set of titles in a while to try and incorporate a large number of the cast. Colourful as well, and a couple of precursors to the version we have now. Below:

Not my favourite show by any means but I appreciate the effort that goes into the tiles and the fact pretty much every character is in them. Plus, I get a laugh out of seeing how much Ellis Hollins (Tom Cunningham) has grown in the intervening years.

In fact, this and afternoon BBC soap Doctors are the only ones to feature characters.

Don’t need to say too much about this. Except that I like this 85-93 version this best. The subsequent versions stay faithful to this, though, save for a remix in 1994 that lasted about a year.

And of course the longest lasting television soap in the U.K. The tune was pretty much unchanged for nearly 50 years before it was unnecessarily (in my view) changed in August 2010. The title design (though updated to fit the time) kept the same theme.

I could find choose to include the evening serials that last all year long (and straddle the line of soap and drama, such as Holby City and The Bill) but would be here all night

Please register in order to view this content

).

Hollyoaks aside, which is very much aimed at a younger audience, British soaps focus on working class communities so don’t shine too much of a light on glamour and beauty, and it’s reflected in its titles and credits. In the case of Coronation Street, it’s reflected in its dreary but legendary theme tune.

Edited by LondonScribe