Maybe if we post our favorite Soap Opening Credits

• Members

Does anyone remember HOW TO SURVIVE A MARRIAGE? It ran for only about 15 months, replacing RETURN TO PEYTON PLACE in 1974 and was set up as sort of a "women's lib" soap about divorce and infidelity, etc.  I think their open was the first to use an actor's name in the open credits of a soap opera.

TEXAS premiered in 1980 when ANOTHER WORLD was cut from 90 to 60 minutes. It lasted only about  2 1/2 years and was daytime's response to DALLAS. 

Just a year into the show, TEXAS ran with this theme, still making Beverlee McKinsey the big draw. Ratings were never great, and when BM left, it was all over.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

That HTSAM opening is actually fan-created using an audio clip from the actual show. I don't think we've seen any clips of the actual HTSAM opening (or RTPP, either).

There were a few soaps throughout the 50s-70s that featured a cast member's name. In the 50s, Love of Life credited maybe two or three performers in its opening each day along with acknowledgements for hair, makeup, and wardrobe. The short-lived 1965 soap Paradise Bay credited actor Keith Andes (and maybe Marion Ross, too?). Bright Promise credited Dana Andrews in the opening, and AMC credited Rosemary Prinz for her six-month stint at the beginning of the show's run.

• Members

Thanks for the corrections, Shadows. I should know better than to repeat information I find on You Tube LOL.

I remember Bright Promise from when I was a kid -- I loved it and was upset when it was canceled. It was set in a college town, and the main story was about a professor cheating on his wife with a student. Tony Geary is always mentioned as Luke on GH, but I remember him vividly on BP, and he even sang and played the guitar on the show. I recall the theme very well, but can't find it anywhere.

• Members

Same here, although for years I’ve there was nagging about why hourglass was spinning for some strange reason. Quite frankly when JER came back in 2003 with his big fancy deal he got I was almost expecting him to insert narration at where Carey use to have and say “This is James E. Reilly and these are the Days of our Lived!”

Edited by soapfan770

• Members

If it ain't broke, don't fix it, but back in the day I imagined an updated opening where we super zoomed in on the hourglass, and Truman Show-style, scenes from the past and actors' images were reflected on grains of sand slo-mo falling through time.

• Members

Someone posted this before. I love how Erica gets this biggest picture in all the openers from this point on LOL!

Have we forgotten this beautiful opener from OLTL in the early eighties. I like how it's an evern better version of it's late 70s rising sun predecessor. The black serif font against the blue sky is also a really beautiful title card. 

• Members

I know its cheesy, but there's something about all of that spinning that seemed so glamorous and exciting, even when they were trying to sell peanut butter and vegetable lard. 

I've also always appreciated the Emmerdale revamp, it somehow reminded me of Falcon Crest with its rural setting with rich and poor families living side by side

Edited by j swift

• Members

The Emmerdale opening has great visuals, but I was like, “What is this car commercial?” And the remixed theme is so bizarre.

Of all the soaps that constantly updated their titles and themes, GL and maybe OLTL had far more hits than misses. Well until the 2000s...

• Members

I like how the British shows have mostly maintained their themes, even as they’ve changed their visuals, some more drastically than others. EastEnders is still the same after 35 years, with just little tweaks to that vertiginous aerial rise over London.