Maybe if we post our favorite Soap Opening Credits

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I agree with you completely about your favorite Another World theme -- it's beautiful. When I hear it, I can carry it in my head all day. The update to it isn't bad, but I never really liked it because the original is SO much better, and it just sounds "cheaper" to me.

• Members

I just hate the sound of the opening. A soap that does all of the slow, quiet, beautiful moments that AW once did could never do them again if it had to live up to a theme that sounds more suited for a action series about cops.

It reminds me of a classic like DALLAS had a theme song that was down right cheerful and fun and bouncy. Bobby and Pam even disco danced to a version of it in the original mini-series. Any show today that claims to be "like Dallas" usually has something darker, almost sinister, for a theme. It really affects the whole feel of a show.

Compare original Dynasty to the current Dynasty. They use a snippet of the original theme, but without all of the frilly bells and whistles, the fanfare, etc. it changes the tone completely.

Edited by All My Shadows

• Members

I've listened to that closing of the theme by Dominic Messenger before, and while I like it, I wouldn't want it as the open. It's just too laid back and mellow. Different strokes for different folks, I guess, because I LOVE the ER-style open.

I think it's fresh and dynamic, and I think it's one of the things JFP got right when she helmed AW. She tried to bring the show to a younger demo, and we all know how many failures come with that. Still -- for me -- this open is worthy of primetime.

• Members

That's how I felt about the 80s titles after first seeing them. Surprisingly I warmed up to them (the non synth version). I liked the mid 90s nature opening better though. With that being said my first memories of ATWT were the blue opener from the mid 2000s (preferred the gold version). The visuals wen't special but the theme was superb. 

I also enjoyed mid 90s early 2000s OLTL intro. The shot of the newspaper stand with walking legs interrupting the shot gave the intro and the show an urban vibe. The closing titles and theme also made Llanview feel urban Philadelphia-ish.

Surprisingly a lot of people hate this but the satin red opener was a cool remix of Nadia's theme, and the red was a great 90s touch. The Y&R logo fade in and the ending portion which the show uses for it's bumpers now is the best part!

Edited by ironlion