GH to air "classic" episodes

• Members

I guess I'm so detached from the characters on the show that the Nurses Ball episodes actually made me cringe. I think if I actually watched regularly and remotely cared about any of those characters, I may have thought "oh that's cute." The bad singing and dancing, cheesy high school talent show acts was just not it. I think maybe the older Nurses Balls may have been better but maybe they all just come across that way. 

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

From an outside standpoint, there is no denying that Guza’s writing team and JFP’s production was better.

From someone that watched GH from the time he was a little kid-  I absolutely hated what they did to the show.  Hated it.  The active misogyny in every story and towards every female character was appalling.  The focus of Sonny/Carly/Jason (and Jason’s woman of the moment) above everything else was awful.

I do not think every vet should always be front and center and never transition to supporting.  But there should always have been a place on this show for the likes of Alan Quartermaine, Bobbie Spencer, Audrey Hardy, and Laura Spencer to name a few.

When Frank and Ron first arrived, they actually saved the show.  It was circling the drain, everybody that worked there at the time said they saved their ass by bringing back lots of people that the audience missed, which JFP would never have done.  It was never her style on any of her shows.

I would kill for better writing and production.  But I don’t want Guza or JFP to ever have control of GH again.

• Members

Agreed, no one wants JFP/Guza back but it's looking more attractive than Frank's GH

The most tolerable years for that era I've seen was about 01-04ish plus sweeps events. The production values wern't all of that compared to the dimmer lighting and soft focus during outside scenes of the Riche era, but tops now.

As I've said before the only advantage I'll give Frank/Ron is more airtime for the vets compared to the previous regimes. The show had alot of momentum when he and Ron C arrived but it died down around 2015.

At least most of the episodes from the Jason Sam week are pre Frank. 2003 isn't far back enough but I'll take that over 2014/15 forward. 

I like that CBS upgrades the old episodes to HD like soapnet used to for classics. But standard definition or not just give us classics.

Edited by ironlion

• Members

They really should have retired/paused it after 1995, the year Lucy willingly stripped because they needed to raise a little more money. If I remember right, the last year of the classic NBs didn't have the underwear gag.

I understand where @GLATWT88 is coming from. I loved the NBs as a kid and some of the moments/performances hold up (Robin and Stone doing Romeo and Juliet, the "Big Spender" number, I even liked "Love Potion #9" from Port Charles). Others don't. For example, "Anything You Can Do," also from 1995. It's funny, yes, but it's apparent neither Leigh or Lynn could hit those notes.

(I'm not really disproving the "cheesy high school talent show" vibe, am I?)

Edited by Franko

• Members

I feel like the first few years of the Nurses Ball were cringy lol.  But 96, 97, and 98 were good.  After Stone died/Robin got HIV they got better, but then declined after 98.  None of the new Nurses Ball's have been good except the 50th one and even that really suffered from lower production values.  And, yes, I feel like I have heard Wally Kurth sing way too many times over the years lol and Lucy being in her underwear at the end did get old.

I think Big Spender or when Mary Mae sang "Midnight Train to Georgia" were my favorite Nurse's Ball numbers.  A lot of the acts gave me second hand embarrassment for the actors, but it was always a fun thing to watch.  It does feel like the current ones are silly because there are barely any characters around still that were invested in the original ones.

• Members

I also always found them cringeworthy.  Even back then.  The strip tease was the best of all her ending up undressed moments.  I loved that Felicia got one of her shoes, and Luke the other one.  It was prominently displayed at Luke’s club for years, and if  I recall correctly, he later gave it to Felicia or she won it somehow.

Those little bits used to make PC feel like a community.

The only part of the new ones I have enjoyed was the men stripping.  Shallow but so is the show.  Also I never liked Ned as a rock star.  It took Rena’s Lois to make me want to see Wally that much as Ned.  And now I really don’t want to see him singing ever again.

Edited by titan1978

• Members

I'm happy devoted fans get to enjoy something on that sh!t heap aka GH.  I wasn't a fan but JaSam were an enjoyable pairing prior to Frank.  At least their fans get this before it goes back to rotgut.  

Edited by ChitHappens