GH to air "classic" episodes

• Members

4/10/2020 - 

SEASON 56 EPISODE 84

Mon, Jul 30, 2018

Sonny feels helpless; Jordan assesses the situation.

4/17/2020 -

SEASON 55 EPISODE 198

1/17/18

I really hope they go deeper in the archive... But I highly doubt it... YR is putting GH to shame...

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

To be fair GH already seems like they have A LOT of 80's stuff on YT! heck You can't really seem to find those same amount of episodes for AMC or OLTL....given how the first 10 years or so of those shows are wiped out completely...I'm sure some people would kill to see more episodes surface from those 2 of the late 70's/early 80's....

• Members

In the GL YT live reunion, Kim Zimmer said she is not getting paid for The Doctors' reruns and she's getting a 0.25$ check for her Seinfeld show rerun, so I mean... it must not be that expensive.

• Members

To be fair, I believe her episodes *just* started airing so she may have some $0.01 checks coming soon from The Doctors. I don't mean that in a shady way, but I do recall seeing soap actors showing checks like that. I think this issue with GH is just their typical laziness. Even when they've done the Best Of sets for ABC.com it's typically newer stuff.

Edited by Chris B

• Members

Seriously....with so many people home...it would be great to air the old 80s GH episodes.  I bet a lot of people would tune in.  But I think the current show would suffer in comparison and also people can't be reminded that the show was infinitely better before Sonny existed.

• Members

My thing is - having to pay the cast/crew of an older episode is a really crappy reason to just not show older episodes. Pay them damn people! It's not like these shows get rerun every day for decades. Pay the people their money for the odd rerun so that you can acknowledge that your 50+ year old show is actually 50+ years old. For a show like GH, the people who made it happen in the 80s are the reason why there's even still a show. Show them some reverence, air their stuff, and pay them.

Edited by All My Shadows

• Members

How exactly does the payment of royalties work?

When Soapnet aired those classic Luke and Laura episodes, did GF and TG receive a check? But does that also means that every actor who appeared in each episode, and whoever owns the rights to the song Fascination got a check too? 

• Members

When I was in a lecture in grad school (don't remember which course it was for, I think I dropped the course anyway,lol), I remember some studio executive talking about royalties and I think that every year that passes, the royalties become smaller. In a different lecture given by a former soap star turned director, I remember her saying that she was getting cents on the dollar in residuals for some sitcom work she'd done in the late 70s, early 80s.