GH to air "classic" episodes

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

For me as a viewer, a change was needed by the end of Riche’s tenure.  Guza’s style was already making the show hard to watch and unbalanced, which is why he was removed.  The same

thing happened towards the end of Labine’s tenure too- the show needed a shift.  Guza brought back more of that classic Monty GH feel while maintaining the realism and depth of emotion that had been a hallmark of Riche’s tenure, even before Labine arrived.

Under Guza’s pen, the show had a tonal shift over time that really damaged the female characters.  The women became needy, male dependent in a way they had not been for a long time, and lacked purpose beyond relationships.  That does not include the overall deconstructionist style of his plots, which dismantled several characters.

Once we get to JFP, it had a lot of promise at several points, and each time the balance issues and inherent misogyny made it difficult to watch.  The show was really compelling when Pratt/Guza first arrived through Laura leaving.  Then again, when Brenda returned the whole show was pretty good.  I thought they maintained that until just past the Metro Court.  Once they killed off Alan it was just a steady decline.  There was stuff I loved, but it just became a decade of Sonny/Carly/Jason and various other relationships from those three characters.

While I will always be grateful that Valentini and Ron brought beach so many favorite characters, I do not think the show has been excellent since the Metro Court crisis.

• Members

Frank fears Benard way more than viewers!  Benard all but admitted he put together the troops at work that helped him get rid of moRon.  The story of Michael turning on Sonny, one of the best stories GH has had in quite some time, was moRon's undoing.  

Benard is afraid to challenge himself as an actor so he wants the best of both worlds.  Everyone fear Sonny but like him at the same time.  He literally gets both.  

• Members

What a mess that episode with Sam in the hospital was.  The name on everybody’s lips is gonna be...SONNY.

Connor is as laughable now as it was then.  Courtney.  That kid version of Michael.  Carly’s father.  Fake Lois.  All forgettable.

I did remember enjoying this version of Stephen Webber more than Scott Reeves.

I completely forgot this medical crisis for Kristina.  Has she ever brought it up?  Poor Maxie can’t go five minutes without having to thank BJ.

Edited by titan1978

• Members

Haha.  It was a mess, but I  ALMOST momentarily felt bad for Sonny.  Alexis basically forced Sam into early labor, made Sonny give Kristina the babies stem cells, the baby dies, and immediately Ric gets a restraining order on Sonny banning him from seeing Kristina on the day of her surgery.  Lol that was cold Ric.

I don't get MB's stronghold on GH and it's execs.  He's way past his popularity prime and GH could easily survive without him.  I don't miss Luke/AG at all, I think I would be fine without Sonny.  Carly can reunite with Jax and Michael is really the only Sonny kid they feature, so it wouldn't even be that hard to work around.   They don't even have to kill him off.  He can reunite Brenda off screen and make occasional visits if necessary.

• Members

One thing that has become apparent watching these early 2000’s episodes after the fact-  They drove through so much plot when Pratt was still there.  When we get to Guza solo again, I remember feeling like the show was always on auto pilot between events.  With Pratt there it feels like episodes that are a year apart might as well be 3 or 4 years due to how much has happened in the Sonny-verse.

• Members

Sadly, I don’t think Mo’s going anywhere unless he decides to leave on his own. To outright fire him would be too risky, especially in this age of social media. The stans would go full on psycho, the likes of which have never been seen before.

The only thing that could possibly work in this case is to hire an extremely talented writer, and a producer who actually puts the show and its fans first and doesn’t let his own ego and the egos of some actors get in the way of anything. Have the writer write compelling and gripping stories for the cast, most of which I think is actually very talented. Also, have the writer introduce new characters played by actors who are talented and charismatic. Ultimately, you build the show up so much that when you push Sonny onto the backburner, it only has little or no effect on the ratings. That’s actually similar to what Harding Lemay and Paul Rauch did on Another World and for the most part it worked. 

Granted, it would be way more difficult to pull that off nowadays, but I think that might be the only thing that would work.

Edited by AbcNbc247

• Members

THIS.

It really was...and DECADES in the making...and I loved when I was watching (I got busy with work the last year of RC's run) because there was so much possibilities to seeing Michael see his parents for who they are after AJ died and claiming the Quartermaine, being as ruthless as they could be. Edward was probably smiling from the grave. I heard it got undone abruptly which saddened me. That story could have run for YEARS.