Y&R to air classic episodes

• Members

The chemistry between Victor and ED's Ashley amazing in the 1986 episode.  But I can't figure out if Victor seems so passionate because of the writing/words of his dialog, or if it's the acting ability of the German voice actor whose voice is dubbed in.  (I suppose they could have asked EB to speak his native German in the dubbing, but I don't think that's his voice?)

Edited by janea4old

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I was just seeing screencaps and couldn’t help but sigh! An actual actor playing the part of Billy Abbott!? We have come a long way since... and approximately 15 wannabes inbetween

Eric Braeden has rarely been to Germany in recent decades and wasn’t asked to dub himself. 

• Members

It would have been impossible logistically. First, not every actor can automatically dub himself or other actors (whereas a dubber/voice-actor can easily act in other mediums). Plus it requires time and patience to dub. It would not have been worth the effort

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

I think it must be a week of "romantic moments that sweep you off your feet" or something. I remember Kim Zimmer used to call them "Calgon take me away!" lol. I wonder if they will show when Malcolm made a fake prom. These episodes are so cheesy. And I can't believe Victor picked up a rose and set "She loves me, she loves me not." From what I gather in rough German and with auto subs in the next episode Casey tells him Nikki has 2 months to live and he convinces her not to tell Nikki, since it's hopeless anyway (this could never happen today!). Then he arrives at the ranch the very moment the lawyers are there to negotiate the divorce and he tells them to give her the ranch, everything she wants, plus an extra 10k a month (and then I assume he'll ask her to stay with him but haven't watched that far). 

Kind of funny to see Lauren and Michael's honeymoon, then their engagement. And Daniel telling Lily he wants to go on the run, when they just showed them on the run. This has to be so annoying for casual fans. It was nice yesterday when Traci mentioned that Mamie had prayed with her about the baby, which we just saw last week, and it actually made sense. That was clearly a coincidence though lol.

I'll admit that ealy 90s Y&R, which is my favorite era, looks dated and that old movie feel wouldn't work today. But 1999 and after? They need not have changed a damn thing. The sets, styling and direction are still really good until the mid-2000s. They modernized the music. The characters actually look rich. The "updating" things was just cost cutting.

I'm beginning to think they said this to everyone to coincide with the 13 week cycle!

Please register in order to view this content

Probably in case there was a Cam Gigandet situation and they had to dump someone. I'm sure Bill Bell planned things out further than 3 months. It's more like: this is a short term role for you in case you don't work out and we replace you with another actor or similar character.  

• Members

Yeah. Embarrassing how cheap the show looks now, but that’s a reflection of the budget, of course. (“We updated our look” is such a crock of sh!t, but I suppose what else could they say from a PR perspective?) The show looked so lush and sumptuous around the turn of the century, in a very modern way.

• Members

I'm not trying to pull this thread off-topic.

But due to what is happing in real life, CBS tweeted a Black Lives Matter statement and then the Y&R twitter and facebook accounts retweeted/posted the CBS statement.

And that is relevant to this thread because Beth Maitland was supposed to live tweet Traci's wedding yesterday and didn't because CBS told her not to because ...  Beth explained via tweeting...

I won't further this here, because I assume this belongs in the off-topic area and I will bring this discussion to the George Floyd thread there.

Simply posting her tweet because CBS told her not to live-tweet the episode.

Beth also tweeted a personal opinion and I'll post that on the George Floyd thread.

Edited by janea4old

• Members

Just finished “I will Crush You!” Episode. EB and PB played it perfectly. PB switching from cocky and arrogant to basically terrified, was perfect.

Jill and Malcolm had some nice chemistry, did they share a lot of scenes together?

• Members

I’m on the episode where Dru and Neil meet.

Lovely scenes with Dru and John. He seemed so caring of her. Did they maintain that relationship through the 90’s??

Kristoff and Victoria Rowell had instant chemistry. I’m usually not someone that says every black character needs to be paired off, but these two had it immediately.

What happened to Katherine’s husband Rex? He’s popped up in a few episodes now and they really seemed like a lovely couple. He was a ghost in one episode I saw, seems a shame to have killed off a good pairing for Katherine.