Y&R to air classic episodes

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
This is just an incredible reunion! I can't believe it! Soap opera history! Thank you, for this!

Please register in order to view this content

I think this is the first interview they made together.. am I right? loved loved loved the rivalry of sheila and Lauren during early 90's!

• Members

Interesting that Tracey said she was brought over to B&B because CBS was planning to take the show to an hour, but it never ended up happening. I guess GL would have been canceled a lot sooner if that had happened. I always heard the talk about B&B expanding, but wasn't sure how factual that was. 

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Members

I remember how close it felt in late 1996. That was also when Claudia and her family were shoehorned into the show, which felt like another indication. I wonder if Bill's decline may have been a factor in not going forward. I had pretty much assumed GL was gone at this point as they had already gotten one reprieve in late 1994/early 1995. 

• Members

This is fabulous, thank you for sharing!

GL was definitely at a low point and I remember in the early online days of furious rumors of GL’s imminent cancellation. However with GL being the comeback kid of 1997 in both ratings and critical acclaim that pretty much squashed cancellation talk until AW was canned.

I do recall an interview in early 1998 SOD did an interview with Brad asking him about if B&B would ever expand to an hour and his response was to paraphrase “maybe in the far future but not anytime in the near future”. This was the same interview when asked about why little Scotty didn’t ever appear on screen and he made the joke “Tune in every Saturday to B&B to see Lauren and Scotty spend time together”.

• Members

Critically acclaimed maybe but not ratings rise. GL was constantly #8 soap in 1997. The comeback soaps in 1997 were ATWT and Days. ATWT numbers rebounded in the early part of 1997 with FMB coming in as EP. After that Days took the torch with Reilly HW.

• Members

GL actually became No. 7 in 1997, overtaking OLTL.  Looking at the numbers from the beginning of the year to the end, GL was the only soap to make gains and keep them. Granted, a 4.0 average vs. 3.7 ('96) isn't a HUGE victory, but everyone else was dropping.  Yes, you had DAYS' tremendous highs (6.9 during Kristen's downfall in June; if Y&R hadn't had a healthy 7.2 that week it would've hit No. 1 that week), but they came crashing down at the end of the year. ATWT had a great showing in early '97, hitting No. 4, but fell back to the middle of the pack. 

GL's low of 3.3 in September 1996, with Another World overtaking the No. 8 spot for multiple weeks, is what caused a raucous behind the scenes to get the numbers up or else face cancellation in favor of another Bell soap. 

The Reva vs. Annie trial brought GL up to a 4.6 in June, and the show had continuous upticks into the 4's and stayed there until the beginning of the clone story in March of '98 blew the wind out of their sails. 

Edited by Gray Bunny

• Members

Katherine Chancellor and Murphy piloting a helicopter is exactly why MAB episodes should not be reaired LOL.

Thanks @Gray Bunny, I knew GL was usually falling between #5-#7 for much of 97 and even beating ATWT, who’s ratings quickly dropped after the Diego murder mystery quickly spun out of control. Last time I know GL did well in the 4’s was towards the end of the clone story.  

• Members

If they're going to keep ignoring the older eps, then I'm gone.  I don't need to see stuff that I've already seen.  Paul, Nikki, Katherine, Victor, and various portrayals of Jill go way back, but it doesn't even matter if anyone from today is tied to the older eps or not.  It's still all a part of Y&R history, and if good material, then worth watching.

• Members

What a fun discussion!

Say what you want about Michael Fairman but that discussion had a good flow to it and I didn't see any technical glitches. There might have been a lag or two on Tracey's end of the feed but it was hardly noticeable.

And despite the aspect of that the video clip looking like it was lifted straight off YouTube, the use of video clips and photo stills is something I've wanted to see in the Locher Room livestreams because it really enhances the discussion.

Honestly, these production companies ought to see the value in allowing some (even restricted) use of clips that don't use music.  They could use the 90 second Instagram rule for copyright protection.  I hate that Instagram rule in terms of musically based livestreams but I think it could be very effective in video based livestreams.

And it was good to hear Kimberlin Brown talk about how readily she embraced the role. She wasn't trying to segue into being a romantic heroine, she really wanted to be the Annie Wilkes of daytime drama. She played her position with relish.