Y&R to air classic episodes

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I've never seen Brenda Epperson's Ashley this much, I started watching long after she left, but I am loving her. I like her SO MUCH more than Eileen Davidson, who I think comes across as less an ice queen and more an icicle. Not a fan. But BE is hitting all the right notes for me, the ep someone posted yesterday where she's pissed at Victor for yelling at her was stellar. She went toe to toe with EB, which I find rare amongst his love interests.

• Members

Peter Bergman got his second Lead Actor Emmy for the substance abuse story whereas Melody Thomas Scott didn't even get nominated for Lead Actress. MTS's best scene during the substance abuse story was when Nikki was getting dressed and her hands were shaking when she was putting on her makeup.

• Members

Well dang, got kicked out as local station broke away to a police press conference, but I will say:

—I love just seeing Mamie again and her interacting with the family being a 2nd mother to Traci. One thing I didn’t like was during the start of SSM in 2016 was the all sudden emphasis placed on Mrs. Gonzalez “being there all of our lives”. Umm yeah no.

—Nikki’s alcoholism story was amazing and heartbreaking to watch as well. Nothing classic like a drunk Nikki falling down the stairs. Probably the best moment was her trying to drink after Victor threatened to take custody of Nick away and then smashing the glass across the room as she broke down. 
—Brenda Epperson’s Ashley 

Please register in order to view this content

Epperson and Diamont had so much unsung chemistry.

Edited by soapfan770

• Members

Just great scenes between Nikki and Jack. Incredibly well acted and well written. 

Jill in this dress and hat is killing me! Great to see Dina as she used to be (the current illness story has gone on entirely too long)  

• Members

It seems like this time around they tailored the writing to make it seem like Traci had more animosity towards Dina then Ashley the last time around. This is based off of the other November 1991 I’ve seen around this time. I guess they figured BE was too soft to go against MA?? 

• Members

I was watching your playlist last night - the whole November 1981 Dina arc was great. And yeah Traci was the one with the most resentment against Dina.  So different from 2018-2019 Abbotts dynamic with Dina.

-

another thought ...

They really should show Nov 25, 1991.  Such an amazing episode.  It really shows Dina.  So much happens in one episode, it's like a movie.  And you can figure out what's going on even if you didn't know the backstory, because there's just enough explanation in the writing. The episode encapsules everything Dina's done to the Abbott family.

------------------------------------------------------

re: Monday June 8 #3396. July 18, 1986.

Would you message me the link to the German episode, if you can, please?

Edited by janea4old

• Members

I noticed that they had one scene about 15 minutes in which lasted the entire segment which I think helped make it more powerful.  Now, so many scenes are so brief and jump around so much to the detriment of the drama.

Didn’t Traci and Brad have any friends?  That was a fancy wedding for 8 guests (most of which was immediate family).  The background murmuring during the reception made it sound like a lot more people were there.  When we first saw Ashley at the wedding, I thought she was still getting ready and wearing a bathrobe. Lol at Jill’s hat almost attacking John- he had to bob and weave!

• Members

I thought it was problematic as a 11 year old kid in 1994! I could never figure out why Mamie's name was so close to "mammy" when that was the crux of the relationship with the Abbotts. Couldn't they have named her Joan or Anne? I disliked it then and I dislike it now vis-a-vis the fantastic Y&R re-runs from the 80s & 90s.

• Members

Was thinking this myself about the name choice. 

Noticing that 2005, 1991, and 2003 (which is hard to find online) are surfacing a lot in these reruns. It would be cool to see some more mid to late 80s stories like John & Jill's divorce and Phillip III's death. 2001 is also a strong year to showcase with Carter and Tricia, in addition to 1997 which is a rare find online.  I know it's highly unlikely but anything Kay vs Jill from the 70s would be fantastic. 

Edited by ironlion

• Members

When I first started watching 20 years ago (lord), I posed the same question on a soap forum and got torn apart because "Mamie Eisenhower! It's just a NAME!". Bill Bell is a legend but...he knew exactly what he was doing.