Coronavirus/Covid-19 Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Thank you. And you are correct. The report was for St. Louis county and St. Louis city, not the whole state. I found the report. The St. Louis metro as of yesterday had 57% of the positive cases in the whole state, with around 25% of the population. Why the black population has this rumor going around that black people are immune is beyond me. 

https://www.newsweek.com/all-coronavirus-deaths-st-louis-missouri-have-been-african-americans-1497199

Edited by alphanguy74

• Members

I don't see where the misconceptions are. What you're saying matches what I've heard over and over. Sweden has implemented soft containment measures. Which is kind of questionable to me, but I guess we'll wait and see.

Uhm I don't think it's a matter of seeing which method works best. The question is: can your country's health system face a potential peak? If it can, more power to you. Most countries were not equipped for a peak and had to famously flatten the curve by applying a lockdown. Also: they did not want to risk people's lives, which is something some people keep forgetting.

We don't need to wait to know that. China and South Korea are living that "not so distant future" already. They've radically changed their way of living. They've placed glasses between tables at restaurants, they've placed stickers on the ground to tell people where to stand, they've filled their cafes with hand sanitizers, provided face masks to everyone. They get your temperature before you walk into a public building. Is that what you guys are already doing in Sweden? Is that what "relaxing the rules" means for you?

I don't think anyone has ever implied that.

You seem to suggest that the countries imposing a lockdown are somewhat short-sighted. And that they will have to come to their senses sooner or later. I find that rather insulting to the people trying hard to respect the government imposed lockdown. It's obvious that the virus will keep on spreading but we are trying to contain the *pandemic* by staying at home. If your country is applying a different method I am in no position to judge, but those who are in lockdown right now deserve major respect.

Edited by Aback

• Members

Thank you, @DramatistDreamer@Huntress@I Am A Swede and others, for keeping us all informed on how the coronavirus outbreak has affected life globally.  From my perspective, the U.S. media doesn't focus enough attention on how the virus has devastated people outside our borders.

Oh, and everyone would be wise to ignore the poster who keeps coming around here and inciting drama with his racist and off-base assumptions.

Edited by Khan

• Members

Rihanna has consistently put out money, vital money, throughout this ordeal. It's one of the reasons I find the "celebrity culture is dying hyuk hyuk" smugfests tiresome. 

As for the celebrities fleeing to smaller states, I wouldn't be as bothered if they actually did anything for the areas they're hiding out in. They rarely, if ever, bother. Timberlake can't even treat his own wife with respect, let alone anyone else.

• Members

Are you by that implying that we do want to risk people's lives? Because if you do I find that rather insulting.

We've chosen a different tactic than other countries have, and so far it has worked just as well as yours.

You're reading way too much into what I wrote.

• Members

You're welcome @Khan. This is a worldwide pandemic and this disease has been tragically effective at crossing borders and across oceans, which keeps this in perspective for me.

Speaking of global,

Seems as if Russia could finally be coming to terms with the fact that coronavirus is spreading there.  I'm reading that infection rates are doubling daily in Moscow and almost half of the cases of infected in the capital city are of people under the age of 45. I don't know how the quality of the general health of younger populations are in Russia but in terms of the spread, that's not good news. Looks like Putin is playing the same type of role as Xi Jinping did in China, which was hardly any, with Putin opting to leave for the countryside and let the mayor of Moscow deal with the scourge.

• Members

New York State Governor Cuomo says no decision has been made yet but New York City disagrees and says they were right about initial social distancing before Cuomo agreed.  Ridiculous that New York’s Governor and Mayor can’t get their acts together and work better without throwing out conflicting important information.

• Members

That article reminds me of a weird propaganda type piece I saw on Politico earlier today about the "national spirit" of COVID which proves the UK is no longer following America's path on polarization and brokenness. 

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/04/11/coronavirus-uk-us-brexit-trump-177924

They only fleetingly mention the main reason the same polarization is not as evident (their system of government), and instead just mention buzzwords about the Queen's speech and people wishing Boris Johnson well. Scant mention of the mounting death tolls and the lack of testing and PPE, or the number of people who were deeply concerned by the half-truths and evasions from the government about Johnson's health, or that Johnson was so focused on painting the image of a wartime heroic leader that he nearly died.

The media over there are just in love with Johnson in a way even our press will never be with Trump. 

Edited by DRW50

• Members

You might be wise to simply have a discussion like a grown person, instead of playing the part of some playground bully, trying to get all the other "children" not to play with me. All because I said something that offended you six years ago. Before that time, we had perfectly normal discussions for the better part of 5 years. Just let it go already. 

Edited by alphanguy74