Coronavirus/Covid-19 Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

My niece who works in NYC for the Dept of Public Health told me one of her colleagues just passed away from Coronavirus. She was older and had a number of underlying health conditions including diabetes. She lived with her fiancé and both allegedly had the virus. I say that because she was discouraged from getting tested - told to stay home because if she didn't have it she would likely contract it at a hospital. She had a fever the past 10 days and the final 2 days took a turn. She was finally told to goto the hospital. They called 911 and by the time they got to their place, she had stopped breathing. The worked on her for 30 minutes. They are not allowed to transport patients suffering from cardiac arrest to hospitals because they will turn them away.

Also noteworthy, NYC hospitalizations are down but the number of people who are dying from home every day has gone from 35-50 on average daily to 250-300 daily. NYC is including the difference in the Coronavirus death numbers even though most of them have not been tested.

• Members

I had wondered about this myself. Here, at KU medical center... they have a few beds that are for people with severe respiratory pneumonia and such, they tilt the patient at a downward angle, and vibrate in a specific way and spin them to help release congestion in the lungs, and then gravity helps the patient to expel it. I can't help wondering if hot liquids, and an electric back massager would help people who are stuck at home with this. 

Edited by alphanguy74

• Members

Oh no, I'm sorry to hear this. I will be holding a special word for your brother's health to improve and that he has the best possible outcome.  If this helps at all, one of my family members who is a nurse, is recovering from COVID-19. She was hospitalized but thankfully was released and is home recuperating. 

So often, we seem to focus almost exclusively on the worst case scenarios, but remember that many many people do indeed recover.