Coronavirus/Covid-19 Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Although we can expect climate chaos to be the source of the next life altering global crisis.

I'm not sure this has been posted but there's this now. This whole thing was executed so poorly with so many corporations getting more money (including Trump Inc. businesses) while small business will inevitably suffer.

• Members

Do Americans know the difference between heroes and martyrs? Call them heroes all you want but don't expect them to martyr themselves. The biggest thanks you can give frontline workers (medical staff, supermarket workers, bus drivers, train conductors, first reponders, custodians, nursing home attendants, nurse's aides, delivery people, postal workers, produce pickers) is not nightly applause but to give these people what they need to protect themselves! Pay them properly, offer hazard pay to those whose job was never meant to put them in contact with deadly viruses.  This is all so shameful.

All these people who are deemed essential workers should be getting paid well enough to support themselves and their families. People working at the supermarket or Target or driving buses to deliver meals to school kids should not have to be relying on SNAP to make ends meet. There are so many stories of this and Americans, this is shameful!

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

And yet we are still hearing many say that there has been too MUCH money spent and that the only solution is to get people back to work. There's a trend on Twitter today to try to remind people that going back to "normal" is not a good thing, that "normal" was not working. Sadly, many won't listen. 

Reagan's election taught everyone that if you are not cutting and cutting and suffering and dying, then you are weak. And no one has tried to change this worldview. 

To think so many were going on about how the GOP was going to have a big populist realignment. I notice that talk has dried up to nothing and instead we're just back to trying to blame WHO, blame Fauci, blame doctors, blame governors, and shame people to kill themselves in unsafe conditions. I knew it would go back here, yet I still feel sick about it.

• Members

I know Germany has its problems, but what it must be like to live in a country where scientists aren't hated and feared.

That doesn't have anything to do with the above, but I saw that Trump is punishing Romney by excluding him from his shambolic "re-opening" committee. Never mind that Romney is, for all his loathsome vulture capitalism, one of the only Republicans in Congress who has actually known how to operate a major business.