Coronavirus/Covid-19 Discussion Thread

• Members

Not to sound like a conspiracy theorist but part of me wonders whether those protesters may have been paid by right-wing groups. There is a very unseemly connection between some of these right-wing groups and the coronavirus. We've also seen articles discussing how white supremacists groups have been using the pandemic to try to recruit people. It just seems a bit suspicious.

Also,

At the risk of sounding like a scold, I think it's very dangerous to speculate about knowing or thinking we know what COVID-19 is all about, especially while scientists and researchers who are doing the very hard work of trying to decipher the characteristics of this virus are, have yet to fully get a grip on what this all is.  None of us here are scientists or researchers. I have scientists and researchers (and the odd one or two doctors) in my family and I don't want to diminish the real intense work surrounding this, so I'd like to hold off on playing amateur researcher/scientist.  I hope that doesn't come off as b*tchy but this is a novel virus, so what we know is very little right now. 

Something to keep in mind though is that this novel coronavirus seems to have more in common with MERS and SARS, two viruses that the Western world had very little knowledge about since the Western world was largely unaffected by it.

Another thing to keep in mind is that we have people who live with mysterious viruses/diseases all the time. MS, Sjogren's, RA, Hashimoto's are autoimmune diseases that people live for years, sometimes decades with. One person can go into remission, while another can become frail and still another can go into a degenerative state. Just like this virus and any other virus does not affect two people the same way, none of us here can say what will happen from one person to the next. There is no blanket set of behaviors for everyone infected with this virus.

Just read the recent news about patients who have been 'cured' of sickle cell after decades of researchers grappling with the disease. Many people resigned themselves to people with the disease going from one crisis to the next but thankfully researchers have not given up.   They are a very small group but they exist.  Something similar has happened with a few HIV patients.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

It's working well enough, as the media is already peddling stories about all the pressure on swing state governors and cleaning up the ugliness of these protests (lots of focus on American flags, not so much on Confederate flags, blocking ambulances, or things like this):

I just hope the governors are able to hold the line as long as they can. It's insane to me that we are still getting so little basic financial support and barely any testing in the middle of a pandemic. I knew America was broken, but this is close to a level of complete death. When something really bad hits, we are truly incapable of coping.

• Members

Such a sad story but it is important to remember that there are human faces behind these grim statistics.

In case you don't want or can't get onto the NYT site, an alternative link:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/she-visited-her-husband-every-day-then-the-visits-stopped/ar-BB12LTU0

• Members

I disagree with this assessment. HIV has basically been the only virus of that type, and it is  a retrovirus, which Covid 19 is not. It will be like SARS, and will eventually die out, it will just take a little time. It feel it's most important for all world governments to put pressure on the Chinese to eliminate the wet markets, because who knows what God awful disease will come out of there next. 

Edited by alphanguy74

• Members

Money over everything. That guy will be a future Senator.  I see Trump and his cronies has flipped the script, by making him as the hero of the common man because he's want to re-open the country and protect their liberties. 

Edited by sivad40