DAYS: Actor leaving

• Members

Exactly. (EDIT: I also don't think it made a ton of sense for Carly and Marlena to interact much anyway but my 1992 watching is spotty at best)

This whole 'feud' thing is so dumb. But it really is bizarre they never share a scene anymore. I mean, Eric killed Daniel and knocked up Sarah ... hello ... lol

Edited by KMan101

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I was happy when I saw that clip of Deidre and Suzanne hugging at Day of Days.

The few scenes they've shared together from Deidre's return 2011 up until ca 2016 were awkward and short.

In these two clips there seems to be more tension from DH than the scenes required for Marlena to have with Maggie.

But the most awkward one was this. Marlena is standing next to John who's talking to Victor and Maggie. Not even once does Deidre look in the direction of SR and John Aniston. She just stares at Drake even when the other two are talking.

Edited by Sindacco

• Members

Those scenes really jumped out at me, Deidre was much more antagonistic than Marlena should have been. It made me think there might be something to those rumors. But then again, Dee was much more antagonistic toward "Hope" than she should have been after the time jump. So it could be just bad acting choices (and a lack of direction).

• Members

Dee Hall always does that.  It is such a horrible, bizarre acting choice (deficiency?).  Unless it's emphasized that she's supposed to be warm in a scene, she acts like Marlena doesn't give a f or is pissed af.  (Unless it's John, Eric, Belle, Claire, or Will.) At least since the 2011 return.

But I think there's something to the Dee/Suzanne rumors.  Even when the taping schedule conflicts and we don't get, say, many Hope/Jennifer scenes... they still have them.  They just straight don't have scenes together and they were best friends pre and post JLBLaura and they've had quite a bit of intersecting story since 2011.  They were even neighbors in 2016 in that condo complex.  Lol.

• Members

Wow. I forgot all about those! Soooo awkward. I hope things are better between the ladies now. It feels so strange watching them interact because it's felt like sooooo long. I'm guessing Suzanne felt slighted when Deidre returned and it got between them. They just stopped putting them together. It's a shame it became a "competition". Now it's just bizarre because their lives and characters are still interconnected.

And lol that last one. Sooooo awkward!

Yeah, there was definitely something there between Dee and Suzanne. I actually didn't even remember them interacting that much, I knew some passing scenes, but couldn't remember specifics, so thanks to Sindacco I can get some more context. I was a spotty watcher come 2014 (and 2016).

Edited by KMan101

• Members

I was under the impression the rift was because Crystal was taking away Deidre's screen time, which makes more sense to me.  After the Tale of 2 Romans story ending there was a period in early 1992 where Marlena had very little story or screen time and Carly was everywhere.  Carly was literally in almost every story whether it be her romance with bo, her long lost kid, her issues with Lawrence, Victor, Vivian, her friendships with Jen and Isabella, her great skill as a doctor, etc.  It was a lot of Carly.  And the only things I can remember Marlena doing is supporting John/Isabella and that ridiculous Roman undercover story that had Wayne dressing up like Mrs. Doubtfire until they started the Lombard story and the beginning of the affair.

By 1993 everything seemed to be more balanced, with Carly more entrenched in the Alamain side of the canvas and Deidre having a lot of material with the affair and aftermath..  I don't remember Carly and Marlena interacting an excessive amount, but I did recently watch 1992-1993 John/Marlena edits and Carly does have quite a few scenes with both of them that are largely unnecessary.  I think both CC and DH acknowledge they didn't get along very well, but I think CC said she was difficult and I am sure Deidre was a diva back then.  It's so strange Carly is so inconsequential to Days now as she burned through about a decades worth of story in 3 years. 

• Members

Carly ate the show alive immediately, without any real ties to the canvas... they shoehorned her in through Justin & Adrienne, gave her backstory with Jenn, retconned Frankie's entire character premise to give her family, created Lawrence (another airtime hog) around her, and RA & AS even included a flashback situation where she had a chance encounter with Bo that changed her life forever... then she was EVERYwhere until she (and Lawerence) abruptly left in '93.  And when Louise Sorel and then Victor Webster left in 2000, you never would've even known she was on the show.  Then 2009 happened when CC was one of the biggest things on soaps and it happened all over again, only for CC to get the Matt Ashford/Christie Clark testament.  MESS.  Lol.  They even tied Carly/Rafe together, iirc.

I liked that set.  I loved the Josh Griffith era production values.  Most everything else then was pretty horrible lol.  And Gray Bunny is right, we REALLY need a set like that.  But I think they're doing their best to mostly feature multipurpose sets.

• Members

I agree I liked the darker production values during 2015-2016 and previously with Ed Scott in 2007/2008. It's a shame they go back to harsh lighting. At least it's not pink like it was for years.

I think they are trying to do their best with the sets and giving a little more variety but they need to find a happy medium.

• Members

Ed Scott produced a great show.  Even Steve Wyman's "Days" looked pretty good (minus the "special effects).  It wasn't until Gary Tomlim that the show aesthetically went to hell.

Recently, I thought the lighting was so good for the outdoor nighttime scenes with the car crash.  Production has super steppped up, but it's so obvious there isn't any money lol.  At least they're trying again.  I especially like how personalized and detailed the sets have become.

• Members

I agree lol. The car crash was well done, for what they have to work with budget wise. I agree and see too that they're trying with what they have. I appreciate the effort.

I just wish the backstage interference was stopped. It really does a number on this show.

• Members

Hmm, I'm not seeing that, unless they've changed something up in the last month? (I'm a month behind).

The thing about people living in hotel rooms or showcasing couples in just a tiny bedroom set with a random bed is that it totally erases any personal touches to the characters. (Same thing happened to GL when everyone lived in a Beacon Hotel room).  It makes everything interchangeable and no "stakes" in having someone kicked out of their home, a child having to live with a different family member, or a relationship ending and needing to find their own place. People look like they come and go with just one suitcase and move into a room that is already furnished. When they pack up, the furnishings stay for the next occupant to use. 

• Members

It's not perfect, but I think there's been a huge improvement in the last couple years.  The updates to the Kiriakis and Horton sets are great, in my opinion.  The Kiriakis redecorating looks like something Maggie would have done in the late '10s.  (I admit all that teal had to grow on me, but I love the two kinds of wallpaper now.) Putting wood floors in the Horton home is so much better than the white carpet.  And changing the green felt sacrelig', but that super muted blue is lovely.  The art got slightly changed (I love the stacked botanical prints to the right of the fireplace).  The spirit of Alice's home is completely intact, but it feels like Jennifer's now.

Eric's apartment has his Africa photography.  J&M's townhouse isn't as hideous... and though obviously redressed, Kayla's condo's furniture and drapes feel like her... the Titan CEO office has those Greek wall sculptures, which is obvious but I like to think it amusingly reflects Victor's nouveau riche, self-congratulatory tackiness.  Rafe's kitchen is obviously decorated by Gabi and reflects her Pinterest-esque style, their family (Arianna's art), and even a little bit of their Latin American culture.  The 3-in-1 Basic Black office feels like a contemporary space Nicole would work in, it's  a very masculine space for Eli/JJ, and Gina's layer created tons of character mood.  A bigger budget would really help this set out, though.  Then the square clearly has Gabi Chic, Saxtons and the Bistro, Ornament Home Decor (the sign has that Greek wreath looking metal sculpture from the K mansion on it), Bookclub bookstore (for JJ lolol), and Salem Inn.  A few years ago, it had nothing.  And this is much better than the 2011 storefronts.  Even the small DiMansion study has so many little vignettes in those bookcases.  And the Chabby in Paris set looked European and reflected Abby's art background.

Of course the floating bedroom sets are terrible, but it's better than when everyone was having sex on their living room couches lol.

This show is never gonna be like when Tom Langan was EP/HW and almost every character had their own home with bedrooms and kitchens, but I really feel like they're trying after a decade aesthetic hell.  Sorry for the long set post!  Lol.